Heresy - driver changes: year/serial # range

BrianG

Am interested in buying a pair of older Heresys (they sure hold their value judging from the prices on ebay). Did the drivers change over the years? If so, does anyone know the nature of the change, the year(s) of the change(s), and the serial number at the changover point?

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. Doe anyone know a Klipsch dealer in Canada who might have older Heresy's as trade-ins?

Yes, the drivers changed over the years, as they did in most of the Heritage series.

This information has been posted before and is in the archives, but I'll repeat here...

From the 60s through the end of production, they had at least these: woofer--K-22 EV SP12B alnico (1965) , K-22 CTS alnico with large magnet circuit (1972) , K-22 CTS with alnico small magnet circuit (1974), K-22-EF ceramic (1978), K-22-K ceramic (1984); squawker--K-55-V Atlas PD5V alnico (1965-to near end of production), K-53-K Heppner? ceramic (last ones); tweeter--K-77 EV T35A alnico (1965 through mid 80s), K-77-M EV T35A ceramic (last years); crossovers--Type C (1965-circa 1972), Type E (circa 1974), Type E2 (last ones).

The changes appear to have been driven by economics and availability of components. But, despite the changes over the years, and the fact that the K-77-M has 2-3 dB better high end response, all except the last ones with the K-53-K sound very alike to me. The K-53-K squawker has a noticeably different timbre to me.

Year of production is encoded in the serial number. Up through the early 80s, it was a letter in the middle of the serial number. You can find a table to decode the letter in the archives. The last models had the year as the first two digits of the serial number.

If you are going to buy just a pair, any of them should do you well. If you are going to use them in a HT system, I would suggest you buy all similar vintage so you have the best match of components.

Klipsch IS sitting in a certian number of them for warranty and repair. After EV quit making them Klipsch wa able to buy K-77-Ms from a "friend" of Klipsch, that bought the tooling, for some years. I don't know what happened to that relationship, if anything.

John

• 1 month later...