just bought 4 18's for my room

masterxela

Haven't bought it yet, problem is, with 4 8ohm drivers, I can only do 2 or 8 ohms. No pro amps run at 2 ohms bridged. Crown xti 1000 or 2000 is next choice. Just a lot of money for $315 in drivers.

Usually in this situation I just run the amp in parallel (not bridged), which yields 4 ohms on each channel.

With the xti 2000, what's the difference between putting 4 ohms on each channel, or just bridgeing it at 8ohms?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't bought it yet, problem is, with 4 8ohm drivers, I can only do 2 or 8 ohms. No pro amps run at 2 ohms bridged. Crown xti 1000 or 2000 is next choice. Just a lot of money for $315 in drivers.

Usually in this situation I just run the amp in parallel (not bridged), which yields 4 ohms on each channel.

With the xti 2000, what's the difference between putting 4 ohms on each channel, or just bridgeing it at 8ohms?

About 6dB of distortion

Oh, and I've seen and listened to high excursion drivers, tcsounds, adire audio, and I don't really care for the mechanical noise from the spider etc when excursion gets anymore than an inch, not that I'd turn it down though...

Is it mechanical noise or intermodulation distortion? Probably a combo of both, but I'd wager that they are pretty quiet if you pull them out of the cabinet and run them to full excursion in free air...or at least I'd hope they'd be quiet (which indicates that mechanical noise is low).

Oh, and I've seen and listened to high excursion drivers, tcsounds, adire audio, and I don't really care for the mechanical noise from the spider etc when excursion gets anymore than an inch, not that I'd turn it down though...

Is it mechanical noise or intermodulation distortion? Probably a combo of both, but I'd wager that they are pretty quiet if you pull them out of the cabinet and run them to full excursion in free air...or at least I'd hope they'd be quiet (which indicates that mechanical noise is low).

probably so

When you say for your room do you mean that you

live with your parents? Isn't 4 18's kind of pointless in that

situation? I guess I'd allow my son to own something like

that but never allow him to utilize them in the way they

were meant! Unless he wanted to donate them to the family home

theater [;)]

Actually my dad allowed me to have an

Earthquake Supernova MK-IV 10 in my room (11' 6"x11'6"x8ft), but I have

since gotten rid of my old stereo, bought some Madison PA speakers and

donated the Supernova to the family HT, without my dad knowing [:D]

Also,

the boxes look good...I'll have to try your method of construction on

my next box.....build a frame and panel it, I've never seen that, but I

like it.

as far as my method of construction goes, be careful. If the outside pieces are cut precisely, mine were, and the final dimensions of the internal bracing are off by any 32nd of an inch, itll show up as either a gap or a "not fit" when you try to lay all the exteriors on. Power planar made it a 30 second fix, but without it, I would have been sanding for a long time.

the bracing can be mdf?

MFD makes outstanding bracing

Doh of course,MDF makes very good bracing...even better go with multi ply void free birch...my material of choice.

Quality void free Baltic birch over MDF any day...and I have now built several subs using MDF and multiply birch. Brace brace,douible on the walls and triple on the baffles.Cannot beat that,tank like and no detectable vibrations or colorations. Wilson like in the cabinet departament.

as far as my method of construction goes, be careful. If the outside pieces are cut precisely, mine were, and the final dimensions of the internal bracing are off by any 32nd of an inch, itll show up as either a gap or a "not fit" when you try to lay all the exteriors on. Power planar made it a 30 second fix, but without it, I would have been sanding for a long time.

Just cut each free end an 8th to 16th too long and the router becomes the great equalizer! Praise be to Porter Cable!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everything is setup and sounding sweet.

Major room issue is between 35 and 50hz, with a +20db peak at 40hz. What a coincidence that my room is 343/40 meters long....

(RS db meter, so who knows what the actual number is)

Secondary issue, who guessed it, with the other parallel walls. +10db at 75hz. Room happens to be 343/75 meters wide. Its nice when math works

Most recordings sound phenomenal. Any with sustained 40hz info is bothersome though. Only thing I listen to regularly that low is tool.

Rf-7's on large with sub off dig sooo deep down here. Authority to 35hz. Unbelievable. I set the crossover at 40hz (don't tell me I'm wrong until you come down here and listen to music with the crossover at 60 or 80, because you can't, just take my word it does not sound as good)

35hz is deafening, 30, I'm starting lose definition and beginning to pass by the "super audible" band, moving into only feel. from 20hz down to 15hz, I can hear the door to my basement shaking on its hinges, at the correct frequency. It's cool, but I'll try to shut it up somehow. db meter said 96 at 15hz, not bad for a 3000 cubic foot room.

Having solid concrete floor and walls is so nice after being in and hearing other "drywall" systems. The bass is so pure, no weird stuff, no floor vibrations, no wall flexing, no random noises. The absence of feeling the bass through transmission on the floor is the nicest. I feel the hair on my head move before my whole room is rattling like the trunk of a cadillac rollin' on 22's. Now the floor right above me is another story. Out of control up there, like I was kidnapped and put into that trunk. Standing up there feels like a foot massager thats low on batteries.

If anyone knows what software I need and how to go about using my computer to use the eq on my crown xti2000, lemme know.

Also, what mic should I buy to use rew, or an equivalent program and get good results down to 20hz ish.

Further projects include, getting money to buy a less crappy projector, and bass traps.