Thorens 124 change of plans. SME 3012

That Grado Labratory arm was actually made by Gray..It sold under Grado,s name for $45.00 in 1965.. I have the early one with the Grey sticker on the side of walnut wood arm... I never trusted Grado cartridges He claimed a lot for a mediocher cartridge at that time...I hope he improved.

That Grado Labratory arm was actually made by Gray..It sold under Grado,s name for $45.00 in 1965.. I have the early one with the Grey sticker on the side of walnut wood arm... I never trusted Grado cartridges He claimed a lot for a mediocher cartridge at that time...I hope he improved.

Here's another pic. Seller forewarned me that the stylus was bent on the wood arm.
The SME is coming with a cart, wild setup eh?

post-14158-1381933949266_thumb.jpg

I would,nt kick that arm out of bed...With a little cleanup, It might need rewireing.., some danish oil on the wood. a mediam tracker cartridge..and it will surprise you with its performance.... Do,nt throw it away...I think I,ll dust mine off and give it a spin. In fact i think ill make a few extra wood arm boards for my Thorens For my other arm collection...Castagna Mod. A,, SME 3009 (early),, Fairchild 740,,, EMT 940,,, a Stanton mod 200 Unipoise arm,,Rek-O-Kut S320,,, and a ADC-84 with a plug in head for the old E cartridge,s I guess i could find a glass display case and charge admission to show my jewels.

Pete,

That's the standard arm lift for the early version SME arms. It's one of the ways you can tell them apart from the Series II. Looks like you just have an extra one. And the additional counterweight... again, just looks like an extra one. It might be of slightly different weight but it sure doesn't look like it. Whoever owned this arm probably had many arms and parts over the years. The box, as I already pointed out, is not the orignal box for this particular arm. I would have liked to nose around this guys basement for a few hours!

And no, I do not want to call dibs on the "DiscTracker". I like your decription... I was just hoping somebody had the genius marketing story on that little beauty.

Pete, 

That's the standard arm lift for the early version SME arms. It's one of the ways you can tell them apart from the Series II. Looks like you just have an extra one. And the additional counterweight... again, just looks like an extra one. It might be of slightly different weight but it sure doesn't look like it. Whoever owned this arm probably had many arms and parts over the years. The box, as I already pointed out, is not the orignal box for this particular arm. I would have liked to nose around this guys basement for a few hours!

And no, I do not want to call dibs on the "DiscTracker". I like your decription... I was just hoping somebody had  the genius marketing story on that little beauty.

The weight and the lift do look identical to what is already on the arm.

The seller wasn't a stereo guy, said he filled up his van at an estate sale.
Probably paid $5 bucks for this SME:)
His past auctions have a lot of tubes all from the same score.