RC-7 set to large or small

darrylp

Good choices

In my setup the RF-7's,RC-7 and RF-5's(as sourrounds)are all LARGE.I use a Denon 3801 as pre/pro with an ATI 2505 power amp(a beast)plus a Celeste 4070 bridged mono on the center!

Four Sunfire subs take care of the lows,cut around 40-45Hz.

Great match and geat power.

BTW You may consider SVS Ultras or SS if you want more output.I have an HGS18 and with two other big league subs in my larger system and what I heard from the SVS Ultras was damn impressive.Two Ultras beat two HGS18's on low sub bass!Now that is impressive.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hi

Im extremely interested and grateful for your comments as many people have told me that Im wasting both money and time upgrading the amplification section of the 5800.

Their rationale is that as the RF-7s and RC-7 are so efficient Im hardly using much the amplifier power and resources of the 5800 and additional external amplifiers will provide no better sound at all!

Please let me know what's your view on their ideas?

Kind regards

Darryl

darryl, i think u're on to it there. when i 1st added my acurus A200X5 to my then marantz sr8000 it added some power & definition to the bass & some depth to the soundstage, but not as breathtakingly as i expected. &

that's w/ less power on my sr8000 than your 5800 offers.

my advice is demo them w/ your 5800 before u buy or commit. my hunch is u'll need something up there in power & quality (& price?), like ears has, to get any big time improvement in the applicable channels. especially if u get another hgs &/or set all to small.

i'm a big believer in setting all to small & not using the crossovers on the subs (switching those out).

even better if u have adjustable crossovers in your receiver or pre/pro bass mgmt. i've tried using the sub crossover but found it cuts LFE too low because

all LFE is sent only to the sub.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-26-2001 at 03:03 AM

Thanks boa12 for the advice and the comments.

Im going to probably first install a second HGS (please bear in mind that much of the equipment as suggested by the Ear and mentioned regularly in the Forum isnt available in Australia).

Then Im going to try and organise a serious amp to try.

Availability and prices here can be very prohibitive i.e. Bryston 6B-ST is approx US$5000 so its not an easy quest nor are there many stockists and dealers for high end equipment.

I'm also running everything set to small as I definitely find for HT (my main use) that dialogue etc is crisper than if the setup is configured for large.

I've the sub crossover switched out and the 5800 automatically is set to 80Hz. There is however an upgrade coming soon for the 5800 which will give variable crossover points.

What would you suggest as the best sub crossover point for the Reference 7s set to small?

Thanks very much.

Regards

Darryl

darryl, i use a crossover on my pre/pro of 50hz using klf-30s, cornwalls, C7s, & an hgs-18. trouble is that crossover upgrade for the 5800 looks to only go up from

80hz, not down like it should w/ bigger speaks like ours (don't know what's w/ these makers - they seem to still be catering more to the thx small sat speaker & sub crowd). anyway, u'd still want the 80hz which should still be ok.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Large...Small...crossover to sub at what "hz".

In the analog section or digital?

The Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R preamp I have has a fixed crossover at 60 hz as I remember. I should not be hard to have different hz altertnatives from 40-120 in 20 increments if this is accomplished digitally by the surround processor chip. The Outlaw 1050 has some pretty good sub setting flexibility in the digital mode.

Of course you cannot beleive everything you read ...BUT the 9080 has been documented to have a fixed anaolog crossover for using a sub with either a large or small setting when using any of the analog inputs.

Interesting oppurtunities for improving the preamp design flexibility by manufactures in the future.