Makin the list, checkin' it twice....

Audible Nectar

After 8 weeks of planning, and a wealth of information and advice gathered from the members of this forum, this Santa (also known as moi) is installing the new HT in our home today. Since the acquisition of the Cornwall II's in October, and a very fortunate location of an Academy center two weeks ago, I've gathered the necessary extras to get this set up. This will be our first HT. So, time to check the list!

One Outlaw 750 five channel amplifier....check!

One H/K AVR 75 - used as preamp - (from old system)....check!

One Pioneer DV-333 DVD player (from old system)......check!

One Panasonic Stereo HiFi VCR (from old system)......check!

One General Instruments Digital Cable Box....check!

Two Aiwa ADF 850 cassette decks (from old system)......check!

One Velodyne CT-150 subwoofer.....check!

One set of Klipsch Cornwall II's......check!

One Klipsch Academy center channel speaker....check!

One set of Klipsch Heresy Speakers for rear channels.......uhhhh, not yet. I put this off for a few months until the necessary funds can be obtained, so.....

One set of Klipsch Quintet for the rears, to be used until Heresys are obtained....uhhhh....they'll be here Wednesday. Ordered from ubid, Fedex says they are in town, but won't arrive until then.

1 subwoofer cable, one toslink optical cable, 5 cables for preamp to Outlaw, 100 ft of Monster 12ga. cable, 20 banana tips...check!

One IRIQ remote, to tie all of this stuff together into what I hope is an easy to use package.....check!

One Avia test disc and Radio Shack analog SPL meter......check!

One copy of "Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace" to break it in.......check!

OK, wish me luck, folks! This forum has been a great resource for putting this together, you have already been more help than you realize! Hopefully it will be ready to go by this evening. Only one question remains. How am I gonna get that Velodyne down the chimney?

cwm30.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Looks like a nice setup.

What are using for your TV? I hope its not a 65" rear projection, that will be much harder than the velo to get down the chemneycwm2.gif

Good luck, if you have any problems hooking it up, cwm21.gif read the instructionscwm33.gif

I would set the Cornwalls to large and adjust the ct-150 to around 45-50 to blend with the Cornwalls. Man are you gonna love the sound at reference levels. My only concern is that the ct-150 cannot keep up. I had one before I built my sub and it ran out of gas earlier that the Heresy that I had at the time.

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

• Like 1

I'm using a 32" Sony monitor as picture. The sound is definitely bigger than the picture!

I shared the same concern about the CT-150 during the decision making process. Budget was definitely a concern here - I would have liked to consider an SVS pair, an HGS series, or a Klipsch reference model, but I went for what I believed to be the most "bang for the buck". The good thing is if I outgrow it, I can sell it for most, if not what all of what I paid for it ($449). I don't expect $1500 worth of sub for $500, so it will have to serve the purpose.

Now that the system is operational (and no real problems..yay!) the CT 150 does make a difference. My primary reason for purchasing the sub was for HT, but it seems to help for music as well, at least in the initial listening session. I especially like the added bass for softer, more moderate listening levels - when the bass tends to drop off anyway. I do have a smaller room, and the sub fills the room with low end quite nicely. It is running at 100hz crossover for now (that's what the H/K AV receiver sets the crossover at for sub), and will likely stay that way until the Outlaw 950 becomes available. It will offer much more flexibility in the crossover, to get a better match with the Cornwall IIs.

I do have one question though. How loud is "reference level" anyway? I used the SPL meter to get an idea as to just how loud 100DB on the meter is, and it is quite loud. The sub had no problem keeping up at this level, and beyond - no apparent overworking, distortion, etc.

Initially, I am quite pleased with the sound. The Outlaw 750 rocks, BTW - it is a five channel brute, especially for the Klipsch. I could see myself getting a few "disturbing the peace" citations as a result of this system!

------------------

on teh topic of home theaters... LoL! we just gave our quintets to my brother... and for the past week i have not, or anyone else in my family besides my dad, been able to go into the HT room. We basiclaly cleared everything out of there and spread it wround teh house with the intentions of updating everything... but this was sooner than i thought! LoL! i can only wonder what is behind those doors!!!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

So, Justin - was there any "goodies" in the HT room?

Me and my wife watched Star Wars Episode I last night to "break in" the HT (front end only, though). During the bike race scene I had a thought - "I wonder how this sounds OUTSIDE the house" - Uhhhh, it sounded like an earthquake in progress! Hope the neighbors don't mind!

It's clear that the Velodyne was made for HT - it is quite a performer in this area. I would say that it's just "OK" for music (this may improve a bit when I replace the pre/pro - better crossover flexibility), but a great HT unit, especially for $449.

My wife commented about the great sound, (and it is awesome) but also about the small picture relative to that sound. It seems weird to have that big theatre sound with a small picture (and it is a 32" Sony). No room for a projection screen though.

One happy camper!

cwm12.gif

------------------