Manley Stingray

kkerley33

Is anyone on the board using one of these or has auditioned one.

I received a call today that there was one of these in town at a Pawn Shop for $700.00. It is in an Integrated Tube Amp at 50 WPC. I was able to stop by the Pawn Shop and Listen to it, but it was being played through some old Advent Speakers with an old Rotel CD player and generic interconnects. Not an ideal test situation.

I know these are selling new for $2250/ I know it is older than 2005 model because it does not have the subwoofor out option.

I would appreciate any feedback from the Forum

Of course these are going to be attached to 2004 LS1's and a Pioneer DV-s733a DVD-Audio/SACD player.

KAK

I owned one for a few months-Can't go wrong for 700 bucks.......being in a pawn shop offer 500.00. Either way you will never lose money on it if you decide to sell it later. Manley has outstanding customer service and one of the funniest web sites around. You will be saying TUBES RULE! very soon.

I owned one for a few months-Can't go wrong for 700 bucks.......being in a pawn shop offer 500.00. Either way you will never lose money on it if you decide to sell it later. Manley has outstanding customer service and one of the funniest web sites around. You will be saying TUBES RULE! very soon. Reviews for the Stingray are on the Manley web site.

I would say run, don't walk, to get the amp. It is a very flexible unit you can switch between Ultra Linear 40 watts/chnl and Triode 20 watts/chnl with the flip of a switch. This works well to match the amp to your speakers and your personal taste for sound. Here is a picture of mine on the Manley Website.

stingraytexas.jpg

Wardsweb,

The one in the pawnshop has the gold front. I checked out the Manley website and read the reviews. I called the pawnshop (I have purchased most of my wifes jewelry there and they know me well) and they have pulled it off the floor. I think it is very wierd looking, but the sound is what I care about LOL. And on top of that, the wife thinks its retro and likes it.

KAK

That would be the previous generation. Actually I like the gold and
chrome look, but then I've always liked shiney. The sub out isn't
really used unless you have small bookshelf speakers or wanting to run
a home theater setup. Besides, if your wife likes it already, you are
already two steps ahead of the game. The bright side is, if you don't
like it, you can toss it on audiogon and make a profit.

When testing it out, just make sure you don't get distorted sound. It will play within a minute but you
will want to let it warm up for a bit (10-15 minutes) for a better
test. Once home you will find it gets even better after it's been on
longer. What speakers will you be using?

<>

No thought required. If you have the money - buy it. As others have said it is a steal for the money. I had an extended play with one a while back and was pretty impressed with it.

Also bare in mind that for many subs a dedicated sub out is not required - they can work off the main speaker out - in fact for some this is the recommended method of implementation for music (REL for example) .....

Ward,

Will be connected to 2004 La Scala's stock (AL-4 x-overs)

KAK

With those I would run it in Triode mode. You don't need the extra power and the Triode setup is a nicer sound in my opinion, but you can be the judge. Tubes and horns = SAAWWEEEEEET!