Worth Fixing?

A friend of mine just gave me a Marantz SR 8000 receiver. I
believe it was manufactured in 2000 and it is a 5.1 system. See the attachment
for more info. The volume on the receiver is currently not working properly.
You have to turn the volume up/down extremely slow for it to go to the desired
level. If you turn it any faster then it just sticks at its current volume. A
local repair shop quoted $60-$200 to fix the volume issue. I am debating on
whether or not it is worth it to fix? I would probably be hooking the receiver
up to RF-52 or RF-82 with matching center channel. It would be mainly used for
two channel music and some 3.0 movie watching. I plan on putting it in a
vacation home that is not that big, the room might be 15x20. I guess I just
question whether the receiver is getting a little outdated? It doesn't
have EQ functions except bass/treble settings. You can't set crossover points,
and probably a few other options,,,ect. Even though I am not hooking up a 5.1
setup, I just didn't know how well it would drive these speakers and sound?
Also I am not very familiar with Marantz products in general. There are cheap
Onkyo's / Yamaha's out there for $200-$300 that could probably perform the same
duty and they would be new. Just looking for anyone's thoughts. Thanks

c_sr8000.pdf

clean the volume pot with a cleaner like Caig's DeOxit...I recommend Caig's DeOxit because I had a problem with an older receiver and tried someone else's cleaner and it didn't work...I was going to throw the receiver away but tried the DeOxit...it has worked fine for almost a year now...NO issues that it suffered from last Summer...give it a try but be careful, unplug and all...good luck

Bill

This is a tough one. I'd say that that the low end of the quote makes it worthwhile and the upper end does not. Yeah, I know, this is not such a big help.

Let me comment:

1) Is this why your friend gave it to you? Does he know of other problems?

2) My guess is that this volume control is not a classic potentiometer which could be cleaned with a solvent. Rather, it is some sort of encoder which activates part of a microprocessor to turn the gain up and down.

3) Does the remote control work? That might well control the volume to your satisfaction. I'm suspecting the friend lost the remote and the knob control is bad and that is why there is a gift.

3.1) Is the knob on tight?

3.2) Is there any sort of system reset procedure? It could be a software issue.

4) If there is no remote, maybe a universal remote can be used if you can find the proper setting. Not a difficult thing cand you may have one already.

5) Overall, I too wonder. You may be facing a $200 repair bill and that can be half way to a very nice $400 unit in a clearance sale or the like.

Gil

Yeah I agree with you Gil. It appears to be a microprocessor issue. My friend gave it to me because he bought a Sony 7.1 system that he thinks is the best thing going and doesn't have any tech knowledge in general.I also think he thought it would cost big $ to fix. As far as anybody knows the unit does not have any other problems.

The knob is on tight, I need to get some batteries to try the remote, but I believe he said it still has the problem even with the remote.

I looked at the manual and the back of the unit for a reset and did not see any, but I should look again, as this is not the best written manual in the world.

Thanks for the input.

I did some hunting around.

The manual is on the Marantz website in .pdf. On page 39 there is a system reset procedure which is suggested when system performance becomes hinky.

It might do the job. Let us all know.

Gil

In cases like this I try to remember that whatever cost is already associated with the unit is a 'sunk' cost in accounting terms. In other words, the question becomes solely 'would I buy this unit outright for the cost to repair'?

I had an old Yamaha RXV850 prologic receiver that had a main amp channel out. It was a $150 repair. Despite that it was hundreds of dollars new, that I had years and many hours on the unit became immaterial. 'Would I buy this unit in working condition for $150?' was my new question. Of course I did it and have perfectly functional receiver for another room.

M