speaker hanging

woodsman

Just make sure you have a stud finder so you know where the beams above the ceiling are before you start drilling holes (but you already know that, natch).[:)]

Actually, if the rafters don't line up where you need them, you can put a 2x4 or 2x6 on top of the rafters and run the chain down through holes in the ceiling.

Just make sure you have a stud finder so you know where the beams above the ceiling are before you start drilling holes (but you already know that, natch).[:)]

Actually, if the rafters don't line up where you need them, you can put a 2x4 or 2x6 on top of the rafters and run the chain down through holes in the ceiling.

That's how we would do it for every professional installation too. It's easier to make look cleaner and more safe too. The only catch is being able to access the rafters. Sometimes we would cut a square out of the drywall to turn into an access panel.

wrench, very nice work there. Where did you get those hangers?

I did plan way ahead when we were building. I have 2 by 12 treated lumber attatched to the rafters in the corners. No problem with hitting something in the corners I had planned on. It's the rb-75's that I worry about. MDf and screws don't play well together. I am going to drill, use bolts and washers on both sides where needed. I figure 3 spots for the chains to attatch too. One on top and 2 on the bottom.

Unless I can find a way to attach those very cool adjustable hangers wrench has there.

Jeff

All I can say is consider the long term as opposed to the short. Since I live in California the potential huge earth quake generally always resides on the back of my mind and if a huge speaker, like the cornwalls, or even an RB-75 were to careen into my head, then damn I'm dead. Also I think most wives would object to hanging the speakers since it looks too sporadically strewn... oh and also a little peril. [:D] But you know the coolest way to have your speakers orientated would be to encase them in a levitating magnet field and wirelessly control their angle and position with a nice universal remote.

Good luck with the mounting, just REALLY reinforce the hell out of them.

wrench, very nice work there. Where did you get those hangers?

I did plan way ahead when we were building. I have 2 by 12 treated lumber attatched to the rafters in the corners. No problem with hitting something in the corners I had planned on. It's the rb-75's that I worry about. MDf and screws don't play well together. I am going to drill, use bolts and washers on both sides where needed. I figure 3 spots for the chains to attatch too. One on top and 2 on the bottom.

Unless I can find a way to attach those very cool adjustable hangers wrench has there.

Jeff

With a little help from Home Depot and Lowe I made them.