Wanted: 2 Industrial Heresy's

Bill Cain

While I love my four split LSI's, in fiberglas and aluminum... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It would be nice to have a pair of Industrial Heresy's.

If you have a pair to sell, let me know. Pittsburgh area. Thank you.

Is there any specific reason you're looking for the Industrial Heresy?

In terms of sonics, I would probably go with the KP-250 instead. Was it

the 250 that we preferred Mike, or was it the 201? I think both sounded

better didn't they? Though those industrials over yours have had the

snot beat out of them. The HIP's were certainly the loudest though.

If you wanted to go a little bit bigger you could try the KP-362.

Is there any specific reason you're looking for the Industrial Heresy?

In terms of sonics, I would probably go with the KP-250 instead. Was it the 250 that we preferred Mike, or was it the 201? I think both sounded better didn't they? Though those industrials over yours have had the snot beat out of them. The HIP's were certainly the loudest though.

If you wanted to go a little bit bigger you could try the KP-362.

I'm looking for a set as well. Sonic is not the issue....want to be able to throw them in the back of the truck with out having to have a packaging ritual when ever I loan stuff out.

I dunno if it matters or not, but the HIP's are significantly heavier

than the other pro models. It also seems like the rubber-plastic stuff

corner guards are more effective than the aluminum trim.

Anyways, I was just trying to throw out additional model numbers of very similar speakers to make the search for the same performance easier. I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

In this genre we have the following, probably more. I've just listed the basic differences.

HI - old style Heresy Industrial K24, no port

HIP - old style Heresy Industrial K24 slot port at bottom

H with industrial covering - standard Heresy with stage dressing both inset grille and routed edge/recessed metal grille (white poster)

KP201- Standard Heresy components, industrial corners, handles, punched metal grilles, fused

KP250 -K24 woofer, industrial corners, handles, punched metal grilles, fused, two round ports by tweeter

Mike, both our ground plane tests and brief (volume neutral) listening tests showed that we both preferred the sound quality of any of the non-ported models. H and KP201 came out ahead on this over the ported KP250 and HIP. The ports add volume but the tradeoff is low bass response. Like Doc always says 'It's all a compromise'.

Yeah the HIP's are by far the heaviest. Add the extra wood of the CW-type shelf port, the K24 HD woofer, double motor board, expanded metal grille, fibreglass gel and edge trim, they are beasts to lug around

In the cabinet department there are many different configurations. Basic painted black, routed edged and paint, black glass mat and aluminum edged, pebble paint and rubber corner guards, top handle, high quality wood finish with no handle, various fuses and input cups. Note that anything KPxxxII will have Speakon connectors and dual bananas whereas standard bearers have dual bananas and usually 1/4" locking jack.

When I find something that works, and works for me, I stick with it. Whether its a Technics turntable, Crown amp, Klipsch speaker, dbx processor, Bozak mixer or Dorrough meter if it works I stick with it. I bought a pair of HIPs in the Seventies, along with four split La Scala Industrial BGs. This combo gave me extreme flexibility. Sadly, I no longer have my HIPs, as they were stolen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The HIPs were the biggest audio bang for the buck I have ever experienced, during a period from 1961 til today. Back in the day, I sometimes filled-in for friends, DJing at local clubs. When they returned, their clients and customers would tell them about the amazing sound system I had brought in. The speakers had been about the same size as their famous Bose speakers, but sounded phenomenal. There were more than one set of Heresys purchased by fellow DJs, because of that. They all still use them, whether at home or at a wedding.

Technology, and Klipsch, may have created a better mousetrap Heresy. Perhaps I will one day use that product. But, for now, I would like to find a pair of HIPs. If they have the Fiberglas and trim and they match my La Scalas; so much the better. [Y]

I did not intend for this thread to become a debate about other products, but I remain open to any suggestions, if you have the suggested items for sale. Feel free to email me with those suggestions. Thanks.

" if you have the suggested items for sale. Feel free to email me with those suggestions."

thats were the rubber meets the road........and now...the silence.....good technique

In this genre we have the following, probably more. I've just listed the basic differences.

HI - old style Heresy Industrial K24, no port

HIP - old style Heresy Industrial K24 slot port at bottom

H with industrial covering - standard Heresy with stage dressing both inset grille and routed edge/recessed metal grille (white poster)

KP201- Standard Heresy components, industrial corners, handles, punched metal grilles, fused

KP250 -K24 woofer, industrial corners, handles, punched metal grilles, fused, two round ports by tweeter

Mike, both our ground plane tests and brief (volume neutral) listening tests showed that we both preferred the sound quality of any of the non-ported models. H and KP201 came out ahead on this over the ported KP250 and HIP. The ports add volume but the tradeoff is low bass response. Like Doc always says 'It's all a compromise'.

Yeah the HIP's are by far the heaviest. Add the extra wood of the CW-type shelf port, the K24 HD woofer, double motor board, expanded metal grille, fibreglass gel and edge trim, they are beasts to lug around

In the cabinet department there are many different configurations. Basic painted black, routed edged and paint, black glass mat and aluminum edged, pebble paint and rubber corner guards, top handle, high quality wood finish with no handle, various fuses and input cups. Note that anything KPxxxII will have Speakon connectors and dual bananas whereas standard bearers have dual bananas and usually 1/4" locking jack.

Hey Mike, (or anyone)

Does Klipsch make anything NEW that is comparable to the H or KP201? I like the idea of a speaker this size that I can lug around that can take some handling. I also like the idea of buying something new from Klipsch whenever possible.

Sadly they don't make the pro stuff anymore, but hopefully one of these

days they'll get back into that market. So you're pretty much left with

the used market and I think we've covered the full list of essentially

identical speakers.

There is however the KPT-250 from the Cinema line:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-250.aspx

You'd have to modify it to be pole mountable, but that shouldn't be too

hard. I've no doubt that the newer tractrix horns they're using are

going to sound much better too.

If you're interested in purchasing from the pro line, I think you gotta talk to Roy who will get you in touch with Chuck who will then arrange your order with their cinema dealer. I dunno if you can contact the cinema dealer directly or not. At least I think that's how it works...I can go find out for sure if you're seriously interested.

You sure? Both the top and bottom look perpendicular to me and I'm pretty sure I've seen them in person before too (but it's hard to tell sometimes with the cinema stuff). It looks like only the back is slanted to achieve the 15 degree angle versus the KPT-1201 that has the angled motorboard.

The 3002's are also pretty nice - big, but nice. You'll need a heavy duty stand with them (which I've learned the hard way).

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-1201.aspx'>

I'd be tempted to look up 2002 or 3002 if I needed some little rockers these days.

Doc, those KPT 250's would be a bit awkward on poles, there isn't a top or bottom that is perpendicular to the motor board.

Mike, you're speaking in code again. What the heck is a 2002 or 3002?

Thanks for your input Who.

The KP-3002 is a 15" 2-way in a trapezoidal shaped cabinet. It was the first Klipsch speaker I was introduced to and I've done many an outdoor concert for over 500 people with just the pair (no subs). In retrospect it probably wasn't enough power, but the crowds always enjoyed themselves. The KP-302 is similar, but is a box cabinet (not trapezoid). And then there's the KP-362 which is a 3-way...much like the Chorus II with ports instead of the passive. I'm not familiar with the 2002, but I'd wager it's a 12" 2-way in a trapezoidal cabinet.