ProMedia 4.1 DOA Merry Christmas from Klipsch

allensand

I saw the message from NCatron about his new 4.1s being DOA. My set fresh out of the box would not even power up. Did full set-up as instructed, plugged power cord into the wall and voila, nothing!!! And yes, each of the four power outlets I plugged the 4.1s into were tested with a table lamp to make sure power was available. Never even got a LED light on the control-pod unit. Since there is no power-on/off switch on the sub-woofer, what else can I do other than check the push switch on the control-pod? Since the LED never comes on either red or green, I have assumed the sub-woofer which supplies the power to the control-pod via the pre-amp hook-up is DOA. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Allen

Did you come here BEFORE the purchase or after?

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

Unfortunately, after the purchase. It never occured to me that a company with the reputation of Klipsch would have such a large problem with quality control on their product base. I cannot comprehend and do not understand how ANY product can be shipped without being tested SOMEWHERE in the production cycle. Unless I'm overlooking something very subtle, the only test needed was to plug in the sub-woofer to see if it powered-on. At this point I'm unsure whether to exchange my set with a new one, or ask for my money back. I've read some very glowing praises of the PM 4.1s, but also have read some very disturbing things about multiple exchanges for non-working units and 4.1s that go belly-up after a few months.

Allen

they are tested, the problem coudl come from shipping as it did with the control pod problem with the 5.1's and the sub cabinet woofer covers.

the problems are very rare acutally. Think about the thousands and thousands of sets taht were sold... then compare taht to the problems from owners posted here... i think you will find that number to be quite different... less than 1% fail.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Justin since you said they are tested I'd like to know what the exact testing procedure is and where it is done. In the USA or in China?

Honestly, If you say they are tested you must know where and how right? Or maybe you're just blowing smoke up this guys butt?

Please also show some figures to support your < 1 % fail rate.

Justy I love ya but D-U-D-E it sounds like you're speaking like ace ventura in pet detective ...out your *** :D

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

BigBusa WTF is your problem? you never have anything important to input... your not helpfull... why dont you find something better to do? Defects happen, you seem to be raging on klipsch for quality control or something saying their junk... well guess what SH*T HAPPENS. I mean a couple of years ago when western digital released a bunch of hard drives with faulty controler chips ( a bunch as in 1.4 Million (6 zeros)) that would of been something to complain about. But from what i've read it seems like you think the failure rate is >25% (not that you actually said that)that would be freaking retarded and would either cause the company to go out of business or drop that product line completly. Oh and BTW I came here Before the Purchase and then I came back afterwards to ask some questions.

This message has been edited by kid on 12-27-2001 at 06:33 AM

quote:

Originally posted by BigBusa:

Justin since you said they are tested I'd like to know what the exact testing procedure is and where it is done. In the USA or in China?

Honestly, If you say they are tested you must know where and how right? Or maybe you're just blowing smoke up this guys butt?

Please also show some figures to support your < 1 % fail rate.

Justy I love ya but D-U-D-E it sounds like you're speaking like ace ventura in pet detective ...out your ***
:D

AMy told me that they were tested... thousands have been sold from shipemtns "J" and up and only two failures.

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

ONLY the internation version of the 4.1 has an on/off switch. the 5.1's (which are still under production for international shipments) do have an on/off switch, hold down teh headphone button for like 2 seconds Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by glennbarn:

Hello Allen,

I think you missed something here. There is an ON/OFF switch on the sub itself. Turn it on and your unit might just work.

TIPS:

1) Always have a fan behind your sub to cool it off

2) Don't leave it on stand-by mode. Turn it off.

I hope this helps.

Cheers !

1) one shouldn't have to buy fan to cool their speakers.. unless this is a standard set by Klipsch Smile.gif

------------------

ProMedia 4.1

Sony MDR-Z600

SBLive 1024

Hello splinter,

Yep, I agree, there should be no need to have fan to cool the sub but I'm not taking chances. I know that this should also prolong the life of these lovely speakers.

Having this very warm summer does not help.

Each time I listen to them, it makes me smile to know that I do not need to spend thousands of dollars to get the same power and sound quality.

Cheers !

quote:

Originally posted by allensand:

I saw the message from NCatron about his new 4.1s being DOA. My set fresh out of the box would not even power up. Did full set-up as instructed, plugged power cord into the wall and voila, nothing!!! And yes, each of the four power outlets I plugged the 4.1s into were tested with a table lamp to make sure power was available. Never even got a LED light on the control-pod unit. Since there is no power-on/off switch on the sub-woofer, what else can I do other than check the push switch on the control-pod? Since the LED never comes on either red or green, I have assumed the sub-woofer which supplies the power to the control-pod via the pre-amp hook-up is DOA. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Allen

Did you make the same mistake I made and actually bought them from Klipsch? If you did, I wish you luck dealing with the return department. You will need it.

You would think a company such as Klipsch would test before shipping. Some people here say they do test. I say they don't. I forked out $400 for the 5.1's and they were DOA and that was around Dec 15. I am still waiting for them to ship my new ones. They tried to blame it on the packing, i beg to differ, it was untested.

Good luck!

This message has been edited by miketrin on 12-31-2001 at 12:21 PM