RB-5 II vs RS-7

banasikdrummer

For my 5.1 set up, I've been using RS-7s for some time now, but yesterday got a good deal on some RB-25s, RB-3s, and RB-5 IIs. I was planning on integrating the RB-5 IIs into my 5.1 so that I could have 7.1, but was wondering whether the bookshelves should be the sides or if they should replace my RS-7s as the rears. Also, if I'm keeping straight 5.1, would I be better to keep the RS-7s hooked up, or should I replace them with the RB-5 IIs?

Just for reference, I listen to a lot of music, but have my Denon on Pro Logic, so not loads and loads plays from the rears. Is one set better for music or movies?

For music why wouldn't you use 5 or 7ch stereo? (Assuming they still have that feature, my Denon 2800 has 5 ch stereo). That's one of the better features of Denon's IMHO since it sends full power to all channels and keeps the stereo effects (except the center is mono).

I don't have 7.1 but if I did I'd want the bookshelfs in the rear and the surrounds on the sides, just my preference (but I have 4 towers and a center, so I may not be the right person to ask [;)])

For music why wouldn't you use 5 or 7ch stereo? (Assuming they still have that feature, my Denon 2800 has 5 ch stereo). That's one of the better features of Denon's IMHO since it sends full power to all channels and keeps the stereo effects (except the center is mono).

From what I remember, I tried all the different settings with the Denon when I was listening to music, and Pro Logic II music was the one that I liked best. Maybe I'll have to give the others another try, though...

I would put the RB-5's in the rear if you were going to do a 7.1 configuration, but you would probably need a beefier AVR (Hot Tip: look in the used or discontinued market for a Denon AVR 38xx or above). If you are going to keep it 5.1 and like music I think the RB-5's would be better than the RS-7's. Fwiw, I prefer my RB-75's to my RS-7's for both movies and music but neither compare to my RF-3 towers as side surrounds. [Y] YMMV.

I would put the RB-5's in the rear if you were going to do a 7.1 configuration, but you would probably need a beefier AVR (Hot Tip: look in the used or discontinued market for a Denon AVR 38xx or above).

What exactly would make me need a beefier receiver, since mine is technically rated for 7.1?

IIRC you have a small a$$ room too, so 85Wx7 esp w/efficient speakers is plenty for a small room. I have a midsize theater and an old 2800 which is 85Wx5 plus sub and I can't turn it above -25 for movies or the Mrs gets bent out of shape, and I'm running a less efficient non-klipsch setup, so you should be fine. As it is now w/o 7 speakers you're just not using 2 channels right? So instead of thinking of it as overtaxing your system with 7 speakers its more like you're undertaxing it now w/5. If you do crank it every time tho you may look into more power, but its not necessary IMHO...

Not familiar w/ DPLII music setting, but what I always liked about 5ch stereo is that it's not really a sound "mode" per se in that it isn't doing anything to make a sound field or effect but just feeding 100% of the signal unfiltered through to all speakers. DSPs may have come a long way since I got my Denon in '99, but I'd give that a try again...

What exactly would make me need a beefier receiver, since mine is technically rated for 7.1?

You may not--It was just a suggestion if you decided to put 2 more speakers into the mix and felt you lost some of the front sound stage. If you are listening at max dB with 5.1, there is a possibility that adding 2 more speakers could make a difference to what you currently are experiencing.

Google 'THX speaker placement'

There you will find the advice to use wide dispersion for the side surround positions and direct radiating (bookshelf) at the rear center.

And try not to use PL modes unless you have to. The direct digital modes should give much better separation.

You may not--It was just a suggestion if you decided to put 2 more speakers into the mix and felt you lost some of the front sound stage. If you are listening at max dB with 5.1, there is a possibility that adding 2 more speakers could make a difference to what you currently are experiencing.

I don't get close to max volume on the Denon ever. Music volumes never really exceed -25 while movie volumes make me slightly uncomfortable at 0 (when they were placed in my living room, mind you), so I don't think I'm too worried about the power supply. Also, as my room stands right now, I couldn't possibly fit another two speakers in here for 7.1...all three pairs of bookshelves are sitting in my living room until I figure out what exactly to do with them all...

Just for reference, what would be a good price to get out of near mint RB-25s and RB-3s?