Johnny Cash Special

customsteve01

Did anyone watch the Johny Cash Special on PBS. Looks like it is thier monthly money drive so it will be on several more times. It is a mix of alot of the artists he had on his show from 69 to 71. There is one show that is pop/rock and another that is contry. I didn't catch all of it but what I did see was really good. My Tivo will record them and I will watch later

Here is a write up from one PBS station.

Pop/Rock

This program is a musical and narrative overview of one of the most important and innovative television variety shows in history: celebrating not only the musical genius of one of America's greatest artistic treasures, but also the vision of the man at the helm of a truly distinctive legacy in broadcasting history. "The Johnny Cash Show" ran from June 1969 to March 1971, during a time of tremendous contrasts. It started as a summer replacement show and continued on as a prime time regular. At the end of this remarkable run that lasted only 15 months of production, The Johnny Cash Show produced a staggering 57 episodes. His vision was massive, and it's only now that TV screens are wide enough to contain it. Johnny Cash didn't just walk the line. He crossed it week after week. This show was a revolution on television that brought us all together. "The Johnny Cash Show" was not only responsible for exposing an American audience to an eclectic array of talent, but established Johnny Cash as a true American superstar, and solidified Cash as a true artist, humanitarian and bigger than life legend for the rest of his career. Every week, Johnny Cash invited us to "ride that train" with him across state lines, color lines, party lines and the Mason-Dixon line. He had guests on the show that showcased new talent as well as those well established. He invited country as well as rock and roll stars to join him on stage week after week. This eclectic list of performers ranged from Bob Dylan and Neil Young to Loretta Lynn and Bill Monroe to Ray Charles and Charlie Pride. He made stars out of newcomers, and made damn sure that music legends country and otherwise stayed that way. This was no ordinary TV show and Johnny Cash was no ordinary host. Now it's your turn to join Johnny Cash. To remember back when reality TV meant TV that was real.

Pop/Rock
This episode offers great rock 'n' roll and pop performances from The Johnny Cash Show:

Bob Dylan, "I Threw It All Away"

Ray Charles, "Ring of Fire"

Roy Orbison, "Crying"

Johnny Cash and Joni Mitchell, "Long Black Veil"

Neil Diamond, "Cracklin' Rose"

Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Bad Moon Rising"

James Taylor, "Sweet Baby James"

Neil Young, "The Needle and the Damage Done"

Carl Perkins, "Blue Suede Shoes"

Jerry Lee Lewis, "Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin On"

Derek & the Dominos, "It's Too Late"

Carl Perkins, Eric Clapton, and Johnny Cash, "Long Way to Go"

Johnny Cash, "A Boy Named Sue"

Country
This episode offers great country music performances from The Johnny Cash Show:

Johnny Cash, "Folsom Prison Blues"

George Jones, medley of "White Lightning" and "She Thinks I Still Care"

Johnny Cash, "Hey Porter"

Charlie Pride, "Able-Bodied Man"

Marty Robbins, "El Paso"

Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, "I'm Going to Jackson"

Tammy Wynette, "Stand By Your Man"

Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"

Hank Williams Jr., medley of "You Win Again," "Cold Cold Heart," and "I Can't Help It"

Waylon Jennings, "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man"

Johnny Cash, "Man in Black"

Loretta Lynn, "I Know How"

Merle Haggard, "No Hard Times"

Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, the Carter Family, and the Statler Brothers, "Daddy Sang Bass"

Johnny Cash, "I Walk the Line"