New Chorus owner

Captain_Who

Some twenty years after my first exposure to Klipsch loudspeakers, I finally picked up an apparently flawless set of Chorus loudspeakers in oak. I'm very happy with my purchase - I was too long in getting here.

I originally bought them because my wife suffers from hearing deficiencies (she's totally deaf in one ear, and deficient in the other), but she absolutely loves music. She couldn't hear many of the strengths of my electrostatics because she no longer has binaural hearing. Enter the Choruses - dynamic, "front row center" impact, and she couldn't be happier. So my 'stats will have a new home downstairs, and the Choruses will stay upstairs in the living room, driven by VAC V-100 tube monos and an Eastern Electric MiniMax tube preamp. The setup sounds very good - I'm far happier than I ever expected to be, frankly - but there are a few things that I believe may need attention due to age.

The stock binding posts have got to go. They're not up the the quality level of the rest of the speakers. General wisdom would also dictate that the original crossover capacitors should be replaced, and there may be other components that have aged to the point of needing replacement. I can change the binding posts, but I lack the necessary electronic savvy to tackle the crossovers (as well as being color blind, so I don't fool around with electronics much). Can this forum offer recommendations for proven providers for such crossover maintenance and/or updates? I think the Choruses can keep both my wife and I happy over the long term, and they're sure not hard to look at, so I'm willing to put some money into them within reasonable limits. The question is, what work should a fairly demanding hobbyist have done, and who would you send the crossovers to to do it?

Thank you all for your assistance,

Todd

Todd,

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum.  There are at least a couple of Forum members who offer new crossovers or would rebuild your existing crossovers.

One excellent choice would be the new replacement crossovers made by Chris Munson (Popbumper on the forum).  You can contact him by PM on the forum or by email at munsonjulie@sbcglobal.net

Another member who offers replacement of the Chorus crossover or rebuild of the old ones is your humble servant:

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com 

Thank you kindly, Bob. This is the beauty of the forum, we are members who support one another in support of Klipsch and its many fine products. As Bob said, we can both potentially assist you! Bob is MORE than well known in these parts, in fact my networks utilize his quality #3636 autoformers! I would be happy to share details/pics of my networks if you write me by email.

I can also be reached at popbumper1@sbcglobal.net.

Chris

I have the Chorus I (dual front port). My apologies, by the way - had I known that someone here was using DrWho for a moniker, I'd not have chosen Captain_Who as my own, even though Captain Who refers to a bit on an old George Carlin album. Those who know what I'm talking about also know why it's a good internet handle.... [;)]

Hey, nothing wrong with choosing your own moniker - mine comes from an old BBC sci-fi.

Old? It's still on the air! I watched Dr Who on Monday on CBC. It was a 2-parter and he'd turned himself into a human in England in 1913 to hide from the Family of Blood, a group of dangerous aliens (is there any other kind?) and the first part ended with them finding him (cliff-hanger!). We're into the second season with the current Doctor (the Tenth Doctor), David Tennant, who plays the part well.

Christopher Eccleston, the Ninth Doctor (two seasons ago) was kind of high-strung, playing the Doctor sort of like Denis Leary, without the rude language but with the "close-to-the-edge" attitude. After a few episodes, you'd want to tell him to lighten up a bit, it's Dr Who.

Anyway, you picked a cool screen name, Mike. More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who

Aye, but when I picked the moniker I was obsessed with Tom Baker (watching the video tapes my dad recorded). I was/am very surprised by the quality of the new episodes though. The new writer (can't remember his name right now) has done a wonderful job keeping the good old stuff while keeping it modern and interesting. I think Eccleston performed very well, but of the few episodes with Tennant I've seen I think I have to agree he feels more natural - more dopey akward like you would expect. I usually wait until the season gets on DVD so that "I" (really my dad) can purchase the whole box set (we don't subscribe to the channels nor have the time to watch it live). I think I've seen every episode with Eccleston over 8 times now [:o]

Wow, talk about going off topic!