THX Select Essential?

Italiano86

Hey guys,

I recently purchased the harman-kardon 247 receiver after someone told me it had thx select in the unit. It definitely doesn't, and the dealer I bought my rc-64 from said to make sure the receiver I buy has the option because it's the best.

Just wondering, is the option really that drastic to miss if it doesn't come with the unit? Are the other sound encoders more than enough? I still have time to take it back, but I think only the pioneers have thx select, which my dealer recommended in the first place.

Thanks,

Drew

Awesome.

I have recently seen the RF-82 paired with the RC-52 on sale at Magnolia and thought if they had a RC-64 in that set up it could compare to the other speakers they were trying to sell in there; After all most of your dialog comes out of the center channel.

I am curious what others have to say about your AVR choice--Good Luck.

THX Select 2 is one thing. THX Ultra 2 is another. The latter being "The best".

Of course it just means that the manufacturer paid THX to run the AVR through some tests. Having the THX logo on the case means it performed up to THX labs standards so it is a good thing. It doesn't mean that a receiver that doesn't have it is a poor one. McIntosh doesn't do THX, neither does NAD or Outlaw or Rotel or many others.

Probably if Harman Kardon was to submit the 247 to THX labs it would pass, but then you'd be paying $50 more for it.

Haha, I only just ordered them yesterday. I wish I could tell you, but they will probably take a few days to get here. I may be able to pick up the rc-64 this Friday, which would be awesome.

I figured the thx thing was just marketing. I also thought it was an actual preset or setting on the receiver, not a simple certification.

Thanks again for the input,

Drew

An AVR that has THX certification includes some THX specific processing modes. It's most robust for movies but there is a THX Music...

I use the THX mode for most Movies but I feel the THX Music mode is awesome for taking alot of the crowd noise from the side surrounds and sending them to the back on Concert DVDs. [Y]

Just tried out the rc-64 today, this thing is insane. Sitting in my 10' x10' room it seems a bit out of place, but I can't believe the fidelity it has, when watching a movie, it sounded like the actor was really talking in person. The funny part is I am still waiting for the rf-82's and rs'42's, so I know it will only get better. With my hk avr-247 there are a ton of audio options to choose from, I don't even know where to begin. I am still trying to figure out if the hk dvd 138 is actually upscaling my dvd's to 720p as well, with hdmi cables everywhere.

I am thinking about getting the logitech 890 harmony remote for the whole setup, I just can't figure out the difference between the 880 and why there is such a huge price difference. Will be cool if I can control my ceiling fan, sub, and everything else with one remote.

Drew

My Harmony 550 controls my RW-12d so the 880/890 should have the codes too.

Two bad things though:

1) The backlight on the sub doesn't come on when using the remote

2) The IR sensor is in a really crappy spot on the back of the sub. That means you need to aim really well and hope to bounce the IR signal off the wall.