Wanted: Maple rf-5 pair for use as rear speakers...any thoughts?

southflorida

Hi everyone. Any thoughts on the perfect setup for my rear speaker? I am using rc-7 maple center, rf-5 maple for the mains, and cheap sonys temporarily for the rear in a 5.1 setup. I have considered the rf-3 for the rears, but I prefer something matched to the fronts. I would like to get the opions of you guys who may know more than I. I missed a chance at some rb-5 in maple a couple weeks ago but I prefer the full range sound of the rf-5s or rf-7, plus no stands needed and the wife is now ok with the idea of big rear speakers. Anyone out there in maple for sale? I would prefer it to be in florida because I can pick up but that is not a requirement, just works better on a tight budget.

..........I missed a chance at some rb-5 in maple a couple weeks ago but I prefer the full range sound of the rf-5s or rf-7, plus no stands needed and the wife is now ok with the idea of big rear speakers..........

If you are referring to that set that was on eBay, thanks for missing them. [;)] They will finish off my 5.1 very nicely. [8-|] Good luck on your quest for your RF-5s. The maple finish is very underrated.

I would consider buying a pair of RF-7s and using them as your mains which would allow you to move your RF-5s to the rear. The drivers of the 7s will match your center channel better as they all have the same 1.75" driver (the 5's have a 1" driver). Klipsch was selling new in box RF-7s not too long ago for $1,000.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

-David

Thank you for for the welcome, David. I agree that the rf-7s are incredible. Would they be the best fit even though they are not exacly the same as the rf-5s. The only reason that I had not widened my search to the rf-7s was because of the sensitivity of 102db. If I were to use the rf-5s as the rears with a sensitivity of 99db, would I be required to use a receiver/ preamp that would allow equalization such as audyssey? I understand that my receiver is not up to snuff to be using with my speakers, but I hope to someday upgrade to a rotel, classe, krell,(or maybe even the new onkyo 605 (hdmi 1.3 w/ dts hd)) etc that may or may not have an equalization program. Am I on the right track with amplification? In addition I have not headed in to the realm of speaker wire and I am curious to know if many are using bi-wire such as monster ,etc?
Your thoughts please.

Noah

All receivers and processors allow the user to set SPL levels so that your speakers' output is balanced. The added sensitivity of RF-7s is a plus as long as good electronics are used. Hum and hiss are increased with high sensitivity speakers. Again, balancing the output levels is easy with a sound meter. Meters are relatively inexpensive.

Any form of equalization needs to be used with care. Adding room treatments is preferable to equalization. Bass frequencies benefit the most from equalization. Nulls should NOT be boosted, but peaks can be cut.

Bill