KP-65-E / Compression driver for Klipsch 3002

greghux

• 3 weeks later...

Guys<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Im new to repairing PA gear. So if this is a dumb question, bear with me! I need 2 compression drivers to replace the ones in a pair of 3002s. Now if they were HiFi speakers Id be concerned to replace the drivers with identical ones. But when it comes to compression drivers for PA gear is it all that critical? There are a lot of alternatives around if I have to buy the Klipsch KP-65 drivers then that is a relatively expensive option since they need to be imported from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />USA. Are there brands to avoid (eg. pretty much anything Chinese in origin) or brands that are good value? For example, these eminence compression drivers on ebay, which at first glance look pretty similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Eminence-PSD-2002-80W-RMS-8ohm-compression-driver-NEW_W0QQitemZ220033138915QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23794QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Obviously I need to choose something of similar power rating, similar quality, screw on horn mount, and HOPEFULLY similar characteristics (impedance / frequency response / sensitivity etc.) - or is the crossover network the main critical component that may cause any significant audible difference when it comes to compression drivers?

Greg

Thanks Bill - that's great!

I knew if I persisted I would find them at a much more reasonable price (always happens I find).

Purchasing the Klipsch model locally was going to cost AUS$165 each.

Is there any difference between the Klipsch part and the Eminence part?

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to recall the drivers being much larger than that, but it's been like 6 years since I've had a pair of 3002's open. I guess I'm just surprised by how good they sound in regards to the price of the drivers. You could probably build up a 3002 clone for like $300.

That wouldn't be any better than what we have now (two McCauley 15" two-ways and two McCauley dual 18" bass bins). I'm really looking for something with better polars since it will also be used in ballrooms that just boom like crazy. I'm open to other ideas though. The system I'm thinking of right now is $10,000 (just to give you an idea of what we might be able to do).

• 2 months later...