Received new black H3 and initial experience

seasterl

Well, my long, long wait to receive my new H3 finally came to an end today as I took delivery. I took them home, unboxed, and hooked them up to an Antique Sound Labs "Wave 8" 8wpc tube amp (baby monoblocks, actually), Rogue Mag99 tubed preamp, and Creek CD53 CD player. I quickly started listening to a wide variety of music to hear their signature. The first couple hours was crueling as they are not broken in yet, but after just the first couple hours they started sounding pretty good. I'm very excited about after the first 100 hours now. Having never heard them before, I was a little nervous about the purchase, but now I'm quite relieved. Forward presentation? Yeah, but not too bad. They'll make a good balance to another very laid back system I have already. The H3 sound very nice with jazz. I know they're still breaking in, so rock didn't sound very good and there's no bass. (Fortunately, I'm all set up with a Bag End 18" passive sub.)

In summary, thanks for all those that gave the H3 a big thumbs up. The fit and finish is very nice and makes me proud they're lovingly assembled and boxed in the good ole USA. BTW, in my 13.5x18x9.5' room and 8 wpc amps, I only had the volume up to 2/3 of max and experienced the rock and country music as loud as I care to play it. These babies are efficient! Long live the Heritage line!

• Moderators

Another happy Klipsch customer![:D]

It seems there are a few varied opinions regarding "breaking in" speakers. IMO....about 100 or so hours down the road you are going to love those H3s more than you do right now.

Let us know what you think once you get your sub up and running with them!

And yes, they are lovingly assembled and boxed in the good ole USA, which makes them all the more valuable as far as I am concerned!

Congratulations!

I don't have my other room ready yet, but it should be completed by the end of this month. This week I'll be picking up the four-post Sound Anchor stands. (I'm going to mount them on stands for a home theater application.) I'll also be using a Marantz Reference Series SM17SA SS amp, but it's the most tube-sounding SS amp I've ever heard and very smooth. I know the bass will increase as they break in, but I'll be cutting off the lowest octave anyway to protect them from harmful LFE and blending my sub with them. I've very excited, and thanks for sharing in the excitement with me.

You will need to experiment with the stands, you might be alright if you're using a sub, I didn't like mine in the air too high, I felt a foot or more was too high, even with a sub, but it's a matter of personal taste anyway, and everyone is different, looking for different sounds, Best of Luck, the fun has just begun............placement is everything with Heresy's...........You'll see.............ENJOY !!!!!!!!

My intentions are to match the psychoacoustic image plane of the H3 to coincide with that of my TV. My other bookshelf speakers were too laid back and the acoustic image plane was about six feet behind the TV and it made for a very confusing home theater experience. I bought the H3 because they are a three-way design (with two-way horns) and they are know to have a more forward presentation, plus, I've always wanted to own a Klipsch for a great rock sound. Now, I'm learning they also sound great with jazz and other genres.