Recommendations/Opinions for Klipsch System

cbanoles

Hello all,

I am preparing to upgrade my home theater, and I am looking seriously at using Klipsch for my speakers. Right now, my plan is to use the Onkyo TX-SR875 to run the system in 7.1 (140 watts output). While I do want a quality system, I do not possess unlimited resources. Here is what I am looking at currently -

RF-35 for Front

RC-35 or RC-7 for Center

RSX-4 or RSX-5 for Rear Surrounds (4 total)

Probably leaning towards an SVS or HSU sub (12 inch pref.)

So, here are my questions.

Will the RSX-4/5 pair well with the other Klipsch speakers I am looking at? I am constrained to use a smaller speaker because this will be in a family room. Between the two, is there any reason to go with the 5 over the 4? I understand the 5 is rather large, so I am leaning towards the 4, unless it is inferior for my purposes. Also, the RSX-4 is rated at 50 watts continuous, will the Onkyo be too much for them?

Next, with the center channel, is the RC-7 worth the extra cost (close to $300 more right now) for this system, and will it pair well with the RF-35?

I am not bound to any of these choices at this point, it just appears that I can locate some good deals on the 35 series at this time, and I don't have any good Klipsch dealers locally.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Do you already own the Onkyo? I might suggest an alternate approach.

From what I've heard, the RC-7 is a big improvement over the RC-35 so it might not be a bad direction to go. Are you familiar with the size differences?

I would probably go with the RSX-5 too, but you're probably not going to notice a huge difference between them and the RSX-4. Powerhandling should not be an issue in this situation.

Do you envision this setup lasting you for a long time? Or is this more of an intermediate step to a different final goal? It's usually cheaper in the long run if you make purchases that move towards a final goal. In other words, you rarely make your money back when you resell.

Thanks for the input.

No I do not own the Onkyo. I have looked at Denon, but the price/feature comparison leaned toward the Onkyo. Any suggestions of alternatives would be appreciated.

The size was one reason (price being the other) that I was looking to the RC-35 over the RC-7. If the quality is that much improved with the 7, then I will probably start leaning that way.

I gather that either the RSX 4 or 5 will work with this setup. Is the general preference for the 5 that is it larger, and therefore better suited to filling a room?

This is intended to be a final solution for this home. Hence the need for smaller rear surrounds. This setup will likely stay with me in some form, with the ultimate goal being a media/theater room in the next home (with new components for that purpose).

I almost wonder if you shouldn't consider an in-wall speaker for your surrounds instead. I'm sure many are going to jump in and proclaim it heresy, but I think many would be surprised how nice the new inwalls sound. I've never heard them side by side, but I'm pretty sure the inwalls sound better - and it seems like they should be a more aesthetically pleasing solution for your situation.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/in-wall.aspx

So what features does the Onkyo have that is making you lean that way?

A couple of things about the Onkyo have drawn me to it.

First, the HDMI 1.3 support is a big selling point. The ability to support the Dolby and DTS HD tracks via HDMI is a great step forward in my opinion.

Secondly, the HQV processing appears very solid based on the available reviews. To upscale even standard def to 1080p would be a solid feature, considering almost all TVs over 46 inches tend to look horrible on standard def content. While I love my HD sources, I still watch a fair amount of standard def via Dish.

While I know these features are available elsewhere, the cost of $1,500 (and less) is a big advantage for me.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about the in-wall speakers. I had looked at them, but have always had concerns about their quality versus standard enclosures.

I have the RSX-4 for my rear surrounds, coupled with the RVX-54 for mains and RCX-4 for a center. I too struggled between the RSX-4/5 for a while and decided on the 4's simply because of WAF and space. The 5's are bigger and do give off a lil more sound, but the 4's are very impressive for surround speakers. As for the Onkyo I have an 804 which is close to the same power rating that the new 805 and 905 have. For surrounds I'm not too worried about blowing the RSX-4's up because typically surround speakers dont get full power that the mains and center do..unless you are doing PL-II or Neo (which I dont do) HTH

My two cents, If space is a serious consideration, especially for a 7.1 system, the cinema 8 system would be a logical choice (cinema 10 if you don't mind the larger speakers). You would just have to purchase 2 additional rsx4's or rsx5s. Because the system comes with the sub, you will not be losing much of the low end. Take a look at the other sonic matched theater packages from klipsch like the rf82 system if that fits your room and taste. As for the receiver, may I suggest the onkyo 605, 705, or 805 instead. These will give you dts-hd, and dd-hd running hdmi 1.3. If you combine one of these units with something like a ps3 or other hdmi 1.3 player using good quality wires and speaker cables, you should have a great, near invisible system that would be hard pressed to to beat by anything in that type of price range. The rsx line is great for someone (or someone's wife) that does not want a room full of big boxes and still wants the reference quality horns. I use a rc-7 and there is no doubt that it is a monster sized speaker, but I enjoy the "big" speakers immensely. The lady of the house has warmed up to the set up slowly... Even though the rc-7 is great the drivers do not match the rf-35 nearly as well as the rc-35, which effects your soundstage... Hope this help

I appreciate the input. The front size is not an issue. The RF-35/RF-82 size will be perfect. It is the rear size that is of concern.

One question, however, why would you recommend the Onkyo 605, 705, or 805, but not the 875 that I referred to in my initial post. Perhaps you should check it out. Same line and features as those you quoted, except that it is the flagship model, with HQV video processing (1080p upconversion for all sources), and 140 x 7 power. The 905 is the same model with Net-Tune added in. Is there some reason that the lower models in this line are better?

Thanks in advance.

I almost wonder if you shouldn't consider an in-wall speaker for your surrounds instead. I'm sure many are going to jump in and proclaim it heresy, but I think many would be surprised how nice the new inwalls sound. I've never heard them side by side, but I'm pretty sure the inwalls sound better - and it seems like they should be a more aesthetically pleasing solution for your situation.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/in-wall.aspx

So what features does the Onkyo have that is making you lean that way?

Mike you are really on the ball! Have you thought about working for Klipsch when you graduate from that IL college? [*-)] Your recommendation for the in wall speakers is spot on. If you have the proper wall space, i.e. no restriction that would allow you to cut holes in the wall and route cable, then this is the speaker for surrounds. I am biased of course cause I coauthored the patent for the dual horn with Roy Boy Bassmaster Delgado. But you need to hear them folks if you haven't. You can see them here...

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/r-5650-s.aspx

The RS5650 has the widest dispersion I have ever heard. You can put your head 80 degrees off axis and it sound the same as 10 degrees with this horn.

For the fronts you can not go wrong with the RF 82 as long as you have the space. They are the flatest speaker in the family. As long as you don't play them blazingly loud (over 120 dB) they will handle very linear. If you need the ultimate live sound with transient attack from heaven then you need a 12 to 1 compression driver as in the RF 63/83. But it sounds like your room is too small for these models. I can also recommend the RB-81. As Mark Kaufman called it when we were voicing the entire Ref IV line, this is the smallest floor speaker that we make for Reference. Great Value!

If you are a big movie lover and plan on using the center channel a lot then you shouldn't skimp on this speaker. All your dialog comes out of this speaker dude. (well most of it) For the center channel you are missing a corner in your room so the Klipschorn is out. [:'(] RC64, RC62 or RC-7 are all good choices. It is just a matter of matching them to the L/R speakers. My rule of thumb is that the center should have as much cone area or more than a single left or right. It gets used the most for movies so that is how I have determined this rule. I can't argue with matching LCR also if you want. Like a RC64 all around the front! Talk about headroom... but I used to think 8 18" speakers for pro sound live was minimum subs for any small bar or bar mitzvah...

So there you have it Anyway you go, you won't be dissapointed with Klipsch. We are the king of headroom!

Good shopping!

Sounds like we have similar constraints. I take it you are happy with the decision of the RSX-4 over the 5. Any regrets or do you feel the 4 provides a solid rear soundstage for movie watching?

Yes very happy with the RSX-4's Watched "Identity" on Bluray lastnight PCM uncompressed sound track the movie had constant surround sound effects, and the RSX-4s performed very well.

Hi Mike,

We like to call it playing with "ear cheese". Sounds much more fun than ear wax, but it doesn't make it any more fun. I got to admit I clean my ears more than once a year now. [+o(] Just a joke...

You 07 pilgrims heard this inwall or the THX version KS-7800. Both sound great and are extremely wide disperson in the HF region. Here is the Klispch link: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/ks-7800-thx.aspx

I can see why the average layman might not be that impressed with these model because it look unassuming. I would have prefered that we use a common mouth flange on dual throats. That is another claim in our patent that we should do for Reference. It would have looked better and people would have understood it better. If you look closely at it the tweeter axis of each they are skewed by 90 degrees which is the trick, so those high frequencies that normally beam get splayed to 160 degrees at 10 kHZ. I have never measured a speaker that was that wide. What I think is wild is that you can literally walk from the wall to the 0 degree horizontal axis and it sounds the same with no swishiness (technical concert array that I just made up).

I need to put a couple in my family room since my wife thinks the theater in the basement is "too dark" and she prefers this room. That's okay I don't mind having a "Man Cave".

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/ks-7800-thx.aspx'>

Next time you are Indy I will have to demo it for you.

Keep Thumpin...