Newbie KHORN guy has Long Interconnect Issue

3Fates

I recently acquired a pair of Klipschorns and will use my McIntosh MC240 as the amplifier. I plan to have the MC240 on the floor between the KHorns. The rest of the equipment which is vinyl based sits in the rear of the room and requires a 25 foot interconnect. The natural solution would be balanced interconnects but this is not an option with the older MC240.

Options:
1) Run balanced cables with RCA adapter plugs attached to the ends of the cables

2) Look for a 25 foot RCA interconnect that could handle the run. I was considering the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm
Can someone suggest a reasonably priced cable or a DIY solution?

Also, since the MC240 does not have an ON/OFF switch I have been plugging and unplugging into the wall socket (dedicated circuit) everytime I listen. This is part of the desire to have the amp sit between the speakers - easy to get to the electrical outlet. Anyone have a better idea?

Has anyone out there heard the MC240/Klipschorn combination? So far the sound is promising but are there other amplifiers which can bring out more of the KHorn?

Thanks in advance.

Cornwalls Upstairs, Klipschorns Downstairs

I plan to have the MC240 on the floor between the KHorns. The rest of the equipment which is vinyl based sits in the rear of the room and requires a 25 foot interconnect. The natural solution would be balanced interconnects but this is not an option with the older MC240.

Also, since the MC240 does not have an ON/OFF switch I have been plugging and unplugging into the wall socket (dedicated circuit) everytime I listen. This is part of the desire to have the amp sit between the speakers - easy to get to the electrical outlet. Anyone have a better idea?

My setup is similar, except my amps are monoblocs, one sitting next to each K-horn. As my preamp and the rest of my components sit in the next room, I have to run a pair of ~20' (~7 m.) of interconnects from the preamp to the monoblocs. I have not had problems with hum and noise from the I/C's.

Neither my preamp nor the monoblocs have XLR connections, so balanced is not an option. However, manufacturers and dealers have told me that balanced connections are not necessary for my home audio equipment. So, basically I don't worry about it. I do have I/C's that have a separate shield around two internal wires for the "positive" and "negative" conductors. I frankly do not know whether this design is better for resisting noise and RFI, but note that higher-line I/C's tend to have that arrangement. It works for me.

I do have a low-level hum and buzz on each side, but it's from airborne EMI from my monoblocs' variac and internal transformers being picked up by the crossover coils (i.e., it occurs even with speaker wires disconnected). It was not present with my former Mark Levinson SS monoblocs arranged the same way. Because of that, I would NOT expect that kind of problem from your 240. But of course you'll have to try it to see. My $0.02, YMMV, and all that.

I use video cables (like you'd use to connect the video output - not the antenna output - from an old-school VCR to your TeeVee, or like you'd use for component/composite video signals) for all my audio interconnects. They have shielding on them. I don't know if it makes any difference on the plus side, but there does not seem to be a downside, they cost about the same, and I figure it can't hurt.

1. Could it be that the MC240 is designed to be left on all the time?

2. Have you thought of using a good quality power bar or surge protector with an on-off switch? Better than wearing out your wall socket and maybe sending a surge through your amp every time.