University speakers

lo123

Friend at work is considering clearing out some space and may have a set of University speakers, 70's vintage he may part with. Anyone have any experience with these? I think they are Altec related. Might need some advice if these come available, value, woofer surrounds, cap replacements, etc.

Might also involve a Rotel 2 channel receiver, no model number yet. Any 70s Rotel experts here?

"Anyone have any experience with these? I think they are Altec related. "

The Last big University speakers I bought had Altec 416s with chrome frame and a small horn and driver stamped University all over them. I paid $15 for them at a yard sale. Some of the University speakers have some great "innards". You may want to pull the backs off. Unless that is, the seller is watching. Worth looking into.

Harry

I used to work at the R & D facility for Electro Voice which was part of the Mark IV Group. Mark IV was the mother company that also owned University, Altec and Gauss. We were rebranding a lot of product at that point as university that were old EV and Altec designs. I was in charge of measuring all the products for creation of new data sheets. The brand University was being set up as the commercial paging type product.

In the 50's University had a competitive 6201 CoAxial speaker as you can see from HiFi Lit website. That was probably the best original speaker that they had created. I don't believe I had ever really listend to it, but it has a W shaped Alnico magnet structure, which is becoming more rare and expensive. Most of the the other products were aluminum spun horns (that ring like a bell). You would be lucky to find a CoAxial speaker from your friend or a compression driver. The driver probably would have a phenolic diaphragm so it would only be good for midrange but it would be efficient.