Just a Question for an Expert

karter572000

out there. Don't know if its actually technical or not but here it is; I just had a home theater installed in a room built specifically for this. My equipment includes a 61 inch DLP/LED Samsung, a Yamaha 7.1 receiver, an LG HDDVD/Bluray player and Klipsch speakers. Everything is great, except occasionally (and it seems like its 30 minutes or so into a movie) the audio cuts out. The mouths are moving, but the sound just isn't there. Have any idea what could cause that? I have tried another movie and it doesn't do it all the time, could the BluRay disk be bad???

Thanks

I have come across this problem at least a dozen times and the usual

culprit is a poor wiring job. Basically what happens is there are loose

frays of wire from the strands poking out that cause the amp to short

out....but it doesn't trip the protection circuitry because there is

just enough resistance to keep the current down until you turn it up a

bit.

Is it easy to trigger the cutting out? I would start by unplugging one

speaker wire at a time until it stops cutting out. Then check both the

receiver side and the speaker side of the wire to make sure that the

wires are only going where they're supposed to. Then reattach one wire

at a time to make sure they don't have shorts too.

I can't guarantee that this is your problem, but it takes 10 minutes to

check and comes up often enough in my experiences to propose the idea.

Just to make sure, does it cut out regardless of the source material? Like is it the same with your dvd player, cd player, bluray player, cable tv, etc etc...?

I recently had a problem with a DVD in a player. The voice gets out of sync with the video. This was just after a skip. Pausing and then restarting brought things back to normal. Maybe a stop function where the DVD resumes from the same spot would be the same.

I would try something like that. The theory is that audio and video are considered different files or at least are processed differently. Perhaps a buffer in one stream gets backed up without the buffer for the other.

Maybe it is purely an amp problem like Doctor Who suggests (and a pause or stop is not going to change things). Do you have similar problems with other sources? That would certainly point away from the player.

Gil

I'M NOT AN EXPERT!!![:'(], but... I have a Tascam DVD6500 and it did the same thing intermittently. I called tech support and they first asked if I was sending it through a digital AVR. I said no, analog amp for sound only.. They told me it was a buffer and synchronization problem with DVD. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. No further problems when skipping, stop start, etc. I guess that would make sense.

Maybe that helps a bit.

what model blu ray is it? it has nothing to do with cheap as suggested. the technology is new enough that there a few chinks in it, firmware updates are coming in if your is updatable. . it is a sync problem one otr the other does not see each other, simply turn off, either the player, and than back on, if this does not do it than the receiver, it takes a bit of patience with this gen players, but!!!!! it beats the hell out of dvd.

Wow alot og good ideas!!! Thanks to everyone who responded and I will see if I can add some more detail. First the dvd player I have is the new LG model that plays both BluRay and HDDVD so it is about the newest technology out there (I think). The service technicians that did my install are coming back in a week or so to program my remote for my room lighting so I will ask them to check the wiring. The sound engineer I used to make sure my equipment "matched" helped me pick out everything but I will ask about the receiver being compatible (buffer, analog vs. digital, etc.).

One more response; I do not have the problem all the time. The sound does not cut out on all the time. I can play either an HD or regular format DVD and it may not do it. Also, I run my xBox360 and my iPod Yamaha dock station through the same receiver and it does not cut out.

Again thanks to everyone who responded. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks again

To diagnose the problem you need to identify when "exactly" the sound cuts out.

1) At the same point on a given disc every time?

a) Problem with player - Try a different player, check for firmware updates.

B) Problem with disc - Try another copy of the same movie, try a different movie, check for firmware updates.

2) Only during the very loud portions of the movie (ie: explosions, shouting, gunfire, etc).

a) Problem with Receiver - Check connections, try a different receiver

B) Problem with player - Try a different player, check for firmware updates.

3) During a layer change over

a) I had issues with a DVD player that skipped the chapter right after a layer change. There could be issues with your Hybrid not picking up the audio track once or during the layer change. Check for firmware updates.

3) Completely Random

a) Check all hardware and connections, swap out and test if possible and check for firmware updates for your hybrid.

My bet is that there are issues with the hybrid BD/HD unit. I would first try updating the firmware as it is possible Samsung could have released a 95% working model with the hopes up patching any problems through firware releases.

If it's not the player...does the sound cut out on any other source like CD, Radio, etc?