KG-4 drivers

Racercarp

The horn diaphragm is available for $20 from Klipsch.The original woofers are not available but a replcement is available from Klipsch, about $80.While these prices are quite steep (a Vifa diaphragm for instance is only $5.50) you have no choice on the horn.For the woofer though the Pioneer B20FU14 is a good choice.The TS parameters are an exact fit for the KG4 cabinet.A set of four may be ordered from http://www.mcmelectronics.com for $71.80, they're made in Mexico just like the woofers in the $2200 Klipsch RF7s.

quote:

Originally posted by djk:

For the woofer though the Pioneer B20FU14 is a good choice.The TS parameters are an exact fit for the KG4 cabinet.A set of four may be ordered from
for $71.80, they're made in Mexico just like the woofers in the $2200 Klipsch RF7s.

I must say that you sir don't know what you are talking about!! While that Pioneer woofer might physically fit in the KG4 enclosure, it is not even close (spec wise) to the woofer used in the KG4. Below I have the specs for both listed. I see several big differences, such as the large difference in Vas and Fs, that will greatly affect the sound. I would NOT even consider recommending that Pioneer woofer as a replacement for 8" drivers used in the KG4s! In this case, you get what you pay for...

FU14-54F specs:

Impedance = 8

Re = 7.1

Xmax = 3.4

Watts = 60

Sensitivity = 90

Qms = 3.03

Qes = .39

Qts = .35

Vas = 36.8 liters

Fs = 40

K-8-K (the original driver used in the KG4) specs:

Impedance = 4.00 Ohms

Re = 7.00 Ohms

Xmax = 4.0000mm

Watts = 100.0000Watts

Sensitivity = 88.58db

Qms = 5.900

Qes = 0.405

Qts = 0.379

Vas = 3.0724cuFT = 86.987 liters

Fs = 27.99Hz

This message has been edited by STL on 01-02-2002 at 10:43 AM

The Pioneer driver works better in the KG4 box than the Klipsch driver does.It is about 1dB more efficent, has a lower F3, and is flat.The K8K has 1.3dB of peaking in the 80hz region.The Pioneer has less group delay at any frequency above 50hz.The difference in x-max of 0.02364" is trivial.You are right, there are large differences in Fs and Vas.And if you input both into a box program you will see that "the Pioneer driver works better in the KG4 box than the Klipsch driver does".It is just a suggestion and I'm not holding a gun to your head.

quote:

Originally posted by djk:

And if you input both into a box program you will see that "the Pioneer driver works better in the KG4 box than the Klipsch driver does".

Maybe on paper the Pioneer driver works better -- but real world I would be very surprised if the Klipsch driver doesn't work better. Are you taking the driver's upper frequency response into effect at all? Or are you making your entire judgement based solely on the predicted low frequency (200hz and below) response from some box program? Remember these drivers play up to about 1800hz. I sincerely doubt that box program is telling the whole real world story.