Pass Labs Aleph 30

tk49

Anyone have a lead on an Aleph 30? I have read many good things about Pass Labs. I saw one on audiogon a month or so ago but wasn't ready. Current system: NAD C-542 player, BBX pre, Carver M500t amp, 90 LaScala's. Any opinions on the Aleph 3 First Watt F3 or First Watt Aleph J?

Tom

Tom,

These are highly regarded single ended class A amps with little or no feedback. They do not have a large amount of power, but since you are using La Scalas you do not need a huge amount of power and the impedance presented to the amp will not be terribly low. The First Watt is different design that will not lend itself to the crossover on the La Scalas (the "usual" recommendations for crossover mods will not do the trick, although in a bi-amp design they could be accommodated).

As you have probably seen, they are all quite expensive. Every once in awhile you will see one on Audiogon or perhaps a DIY one on e-Bay. Although I have not heard one, an alternative might be a Monarchy amp. They are also a single ended Class A with little feedback. They are, I am told, close to the sound and quality of an Aleph, but are considerably less expensive (the prices are frequently deeply discounted). Perhaps this could be an alternative. I am considering one for a bi-amped configuration on a Jubilee clone that is in the works.

I am curious, what is it about your current set up that you are dissatisfied with?

Good Luck,

-Tom

The Carver is on loan from my brother who is overseas, it has more of an edge to it. The highs are a bit sharp, harsh or maybe the word is too bright. Are you speaking in terms of all the Pass Lab amps when you talk about the crossover on the La Scalas or just the First Watt series.

Tom

The Carver is on loan from my brother who is overseas, it has more of an edge to it. The highs are a bit sharp, harsh or maybe the word is too bright. Are you speaking in terms of all the Pass Lab amps when you talk about the crossover on the La Scalas or just the First Watt series.

Tom

The issue is unique to the First Watt