Klipsch Belles

JimmyO

First, I am a newbie and totally admit it. I need some help from some veterans. I am also a very proud new owner of a pair of Klipsch Belles purchased on Ebay. These things are awesome! I know, I know; you risk a lot by going on Ebay but I am trying to build my dream stereo from the 70's, ( my 'formaztive' years). I think I got lucky because they are in very good shape and sound unbelievable!. I would like to know how old these speakers are and have no idea how to determine this. I have read enough on this forum that I know some of you can tell. Model # BK - WO; serial numbers: 1P708 & 1P709.

I also would like to learn more about the cross-overs. I am totally ignorant in this area and would like some opinions on what different cross-overs are available, why one is preferred over another, how much are differnet cross-overs and where can you get them. The cross-overs in my Belles are: AA. Also, if there is a website I could visit where this information is available, it would be appreciated.

I am planning to drive these puppies with a Marantz 2385. I know some of you purist say - go tube- but that was a little before my time or so totally out of my price range that it was not a consideration. Any opinions welcomed, ( I can always change my mind).

Thanks in advance for all help.

JimmyO

P is 1976 as I recall, but I'll check to make sure.

If your interested in swapping out the crossovers, that would probably be an excellent idea. The closest thing to stock replacements can be purchased from forum member Bob Crites, aka BEC. But if your looking to get fancier, like me, then I would highly recommend Al K. Al use to hang out here, but he's gone now. You can still reach Al at his business ALK Engineering, IMHO, he's the guru when it comes to crossovers.

EDIT,

Yep, 1976.

Klipsch Dating With Letter Type Serial #'s

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62 F=67 K=72 R=77 X=82
B=63 G=68 L=73 S=78 Y=83
C=64 H=69 M=74 T=79
D=65 I=70 N=75 U=80
E=66 J=71 P=76 W=81

Take your time and enjoy the speakers as they are. I agree that the trachorn and network upgrades are indeed remarkable upgrades but the stock speakers are pretty remarkable as well! When you get around to it I would do the networks first and then the trachorn if you feel the need.

Josh