Best Choice for Quintet Center Channel

marcmac

Will one of the moderators please settle the argument once and for all, what is really the best overall match for Quintet Satellites?

Is the Quintet Center really the overall best choice because it uses the exact same drivers or is it better to upgrade to the SC-1.

And in the case where a replacement is needed for a missing Quintet Center, is the best overall replacement the SC.5, the SC-1, the KSC-C1 or just a 5th satellite.

I have read through all the postings some claim the SC.5 to be the closest match. Others claim the KSC-C1 to be the best match because it uses the same 90°x40° Tractrix® Horn. While the SC-1 appears to be the best

overall speaker, but not necessarily the best match.

I would really like Klipsch to answer this question once and for all. Perhaps Klipsch would be willing to do some testing and post the results since there seems to be a lot of people who are stuck without a Quintet center.

Have you tried calling Klipsch tech support? It is sometimes faster and more effective than making the request in the forum. Sometimes it seems like the moderators do not show up for a long time. I am sure tech support will be glad to suggest a substitute. Then you could post it here for the rest of us.

I don't think there is an argument over what would make the best center (in terms of sonic match in something with a center channel form factor) for a Quintet system. Klipsch has already spoken by making the Quintet center part of the Quintet MicroSystem. Unfortunately, its near impossible to find except as part of the package.

FWIW IMHO the best sonic match hands down is another Quintet satellite. But you probably already read that.

First of all, I want to thank Phil for answering. Clearly the reasoning behind his response places tremendous significance in sonically matching the speakers. I realize this to be important for the best overall listening experience. But, is it really more important than the quality of sound overall? The way I see it, the most critical sound in a movie is the dialogue, which predominantly originates from the center channel. So with the other 4 channels perfectly sonically matched, doesn't it reason to use the best center channel possible within a close sonic range of similarity? The SC.5 for example uses bigger woofers reaching all the way down to 70Hz and with greater efficiency than the Quintet which can only reach 100 Hz. Yet, the poly based woofers and Tractrix® Horn are quite similar.

Here is my specific dilemma:

I was given the full Quintet system including the KSW-10 subwoofer, but the center channel was unfortunately demolished in a recent move before I even had the chance to really test it out. So now I must replace it, and I am finding that for basically the same price (give or take $20) I can get the Quintet Center off of Ebay, the KSC-C1 off of Ubid or the SC.5 from www.brandnamez.com I fully understand the reasoning for sticking with the Quintet center, but when you look at the specs of the two alternate choices it is difficult not to be tempted to go for an overall better speaker for the same price!

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this and especially Phil's if he so chooses to enlighten us with the reasoning behind the recommendation.

This message has been edited by marcmac on 01-01-2002 at 01:44 AM

marcmac

I thought the same as you when I first set my system up and went with a KSC-C1 and found it way over powered my Quintet satilites. I ended up ditching the Quintets and buying SF-2 fronts and SS-1 rears and the difference is astounding exspecially in Music. I was able to make the KSC-C1 a pretty good match with the Quintets for movies by lowering its output -6db and upping the Quintets +2db. This worked great for movies but was lacking big time in music. I would recomend you buy the best center you can if movies is your only concern. But don't even waste your time with music with any Quintet combo.

marcmac:

We all have our personal preferences and feelings. I go with the school of matching the center as perfectly as possible to the front left and right speakers. When a sound moves from left to right, for example, I want that sound to be the same throughout the pan. A different type of center would cause me to look at the speakers instead of what is causing the sound. A bigger center for you may be the best for your ears, and since there is so much information coming from the center channel, that backs up your stance. I would just set the center to small if I had the Quintets and let the sub handle a lot of that information.

PhilH

Thanks again to Phil for responding. I am nearing a decision and have ruled out the SC-1 and KSC-C1 based on the responses in this forum and Phil's explanation. The high demand for the Quintet center has caused its price to near $200 on E-bay, which is probably still a fair price, but I am leaning towards the $120 SC.5 from Brandnamez.com. So I have this final question, if instead I went with an additional satellite for the center, could I use two satelites hooked up in synchronicity out of the same 100 watt center channel out? Why or why not and what would be the effect.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would post a final update in case anyone cares. I ended up with the SC.5 as a center channel and am very happy with theis decision. It seems a perfect match for the Quintets and delivers even better sound for the most important center channel!

Marcmac, congratulations on making a sound choice. Theory and experience have proved what PhilH has to say about having the all important center channel match the flanking mains (which receive far less sound in 5.1. Try listening to 5.1 using a "phantom" center and you will see what I mean... the "mains" have to step it up big time!

IMHO, having less than an identical center reaches beyond timbre... to an issue of speaker "character" like dynamics, crossovers, cabinet volume... it just takes more than matching tweeters and mid-range to serve up the whole aural enchilada!

Bon appétit des oreilles! cwm32.gif HornEd