SME Help

mowntnbkr

The title says it all. I bumped my TT last night, no vinyl being played at the time. Well, I have been reading the AJA thread and thought I would put mine on. When I powered everything up, there was no putput. I started fiddling with the connectors, and sure enough the RCA jacks that plug into the back of the BBX must have an intermittent, which I understand, but this is where I get a little confused. I should state that it is a series 2 imp. w/ removable headshell.

When the BBX is in stereo, no matter how much wiggling I do I can only get output from the left channel, but when I put it in mono I get output from both. I have taken resistance measurements between the ground and center conductor on the RCA jack. Both left and right channels read 12 ohms (doing all this with no power applied), am I correct in assuming that the reading is what I am getting from across the Cartridge coils? I am hoping I can just cut off the old rca connectors and solder some new ones on and cure the problem. They are the original SME connectors, which I have read leave little to be desired. My next question is replacing the RCA wiring from the bottom of the tonearm to the point where it connects to the BBX: what cables are good for doing this and what where to purchase them. The only place I have seen is needle doctor, but not sure which one I need. Thanks for any advice.

What about rewiring?  I have the removable headshell, but dont know how to get to the wires in the neck where the meet the headshell?

Allan told me it was a total PITA to rewire one of these, he will probably chime in.

That SME guy in Canada, Alfred rewires them with high quality RCAs for about $250.

You would not need the conversion kit then.

I just ordered some bed plate grommets and screws from him and he shipped immediately.

By the way, that Russian cork soaker Mirko that was building the custom plinths stiffed me for a $155 deposit.

Do not send that crook any money!!

My memory is a bit dim on this arm but as I recall, the hot (center) pins on those SME RCA connectors were abnormally long and were not totally compatible with all equipment. Before you rewire or install new RCAs, pull them out just a bit. Make sure the ground side of the RCAs still contacts the ground side on the female connectors on the BBX. This may solve your problem.

My memory is a bit dim on this arm but as I recall, the hot (center) pins on those SME RCA connectors were abnormally long and were not totally compatible with all equipment. Before you rewire or install new RCAs, pull them out just a bit. Make sure the ground side of the RCAs still contacts the ground side on the female connectors on the BBX. This may solve your problem.

Great point. I've seen that more than once with original SME RCA connectors. One channel cuts completely out, reach around the preamp, pull out the connector, just slightly and wa la. RCA conversion kits get rid of this nonsense.

Thanks for that bit of info guys, it worked ont he right channel. I am still going to send if off to be rewired/RCA adapted. The left channel had an open and I fixed that, but I figured since the darn thing has been around a while it could use some sprucing up.