Where to place rear surround?

SPORTS96

Here are a couple of pictures of what i am talking about. As you can see the rear speakers are not in the ideal spot.

The speakers that I am looking at getting are the Klipsch RS-52's. Do they make a wall mount for hanging the speaker

on that swivels. That way at least I could swivel the speaker to the living room instead of inbetween the living room and

the breakfast area. Do you think that the placement of the rear speakers will sound ok in this placement. They will also

be placed close to the ceiling as you can see in the picture. If you look close you can see the plate on the wall. Any

suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-25934-1381934854204_thumb.jpg

the 52's are awesome surrounds...

Help us out here....to help you?

Is this for a 5.1 or 7.1 system?

What are your other speakers...amp etc., etc.?

The placement is different on the 5.1 vs 7.1 issue, sothat is why I asked BTW.

There are mounts you can buy.. again it is a 13 inch speaker.. so not small, but you also get HUGE sound..

PS Congrats! The house so far, looks awesome!

With regards to the rear speakers, you will pardon me for not being intimate with the model, but you would want to place both of them in the corner, as this is the limiting spot as defined by the LL as shown in the drawing. This will result in the room gain being equal for both of them and thus retaining the sonic character. I would then suggest adjusting for the slight offset in distance/time due to their offset be adjusted accordingly in the setup menu of your receiver.

OK, .....except that I now note after reviewing the pictures (as opposed to just the drawing) that when suspended there is no LL 'corner'.

The result may be a slight difference in their apparent frequency response, but as the material mixed into the surrounds is not really critical in this respect, you should be just fine.

One way that you can mitigate this situation just a bit would be to mount the surrounds on a bracket attached to the walls very near the ceiling pointing at the seating position, very similar to what I first posted - albeit without a rear wall surface at the LL position. In this respect the LR speaker would benefit from the placement and it would more nearly 'balance' the tonal response due to additional 'room gain' as a result of the additional adjoining surface more than a 'free field' mount would provide. Additionally, your hearing is not very sensitive to vertical variations,and with an onb axis orientation, any effects should be very minimal. You should be just fine. Enjoy!

Of course, you could build a sort of false corner by extending a section of the half wall/divider on the back/kitchen wall....just kidding!!!![:P]

OK, I think I am with MAS here... It looks like you already have a outlet for your speaker wire... on the post wall up high.. You cant really have one free standing hanging down with it being 13" tall and more then that with a mount too.... ( If you had a wall at the bottom of the stairs... this would be a no brainer... use that wall... as close to the seats horizontally as you can. But you do not.. I would not change it as well.. it looks great being all open! )

So your actually at a compromise here.

I re drew it for you... remember the RS speakers have ports on the sides...AND fire left n right.. Your gonna need that wall, otherwise your going to fire sound upstairs to the left of that Rear Left surround speaker.. (not good)

So looks like it will have to hang down into the kitchen area just a tad... so that you can get that bounce back into yout ht area.. Some people like the surrounds slightly behind you so when a crowd roars they are beside to behind you...

I have heard it horizontal to 20 degrees behind the main sitting area..and that is the spec.... with sprayed speakers... It does sound great. Your just not in a position to do that... unless when you go down your stairs... You want to see the back of a surround speaker and speaker wires. (WAF not too high here)

I hope this makes sense..

Roger..

post-5910-1381934854697_thumb.jpg

That is where it should go, if you also had a rear wall... You do not.. But still a ok, but not optimal placement. Why? Because the rear firing of this unit will just fill in the room behind you.. Which is not all bad too you will get some sound those back in the kitchen. LOL

What I was suggestiong is firing it into your room so facing your tv...close to the two back walls... WHY? This uses your side walls to bounce off of and also fills in the space behind you as well. it is not ideal it is also not to spec.. but I have heard it this way and it is not bad...

Klipsch also makes inwall ceiling speakers with a movable (to a point) tweeter. you "could" go this route and have great placement and aim the tweeters down to your seating position and be in that horizontal to 20*(degrees behind your seating position) on your couch and have a better WAF. (Wife Approval factor) It will not rival the surrounds you chose.. I just wish I had a better solution for you. .

post-5910-1381934854936_thumb.jpg

Again, the Klipsch ceiling speakers do not suck at all.... in fact, they are very nice..... AND your best WAF too...

Look here.. You can swivil the woofer AND tweeter where you need it to go.. Your early enough to do it construction wise and get your wires up there... SO, do it now..LOL

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/cdt-3800-c.aspx

CDT-3800-C In-ceiling Loudspeaker

With

integrated whole-house audio systems becoming more popular than ever,

Klipsch designed the CDT-3800-C to meet the market's demand for a

high-performance in-ceiling loudspeaker that easily challenges the

inherent limitations of fixed locations.

Features

• High sensitivity and power handling, strong bass
  • Swiveling Tractrix Horn tweeter for clear sound in any location

• Treble attenuation switch

Find a Dealer

» Find an authorized dealer

Downloads

» English Manual (296.69 KB)

» Cut Sheet (258.41 KB)

Details

» Description

» Specifications

» More Photos

Detailed Description

Thanks

to a new patent-pending gimbal mechanism, known as Controlled

Dispersion Technology (CDT), both the high and low frequencies of the

CDT-3800-C can be directed towards the listening area. Because the

tweeter is independently adjustable from the woofer, this speaker

offers even more precise localization.

The CDT-3800-C features a 1-inch aluminum tweeter mated to a

swiveling 100-degree Tractrix® Horn. This swiveling horn design

dramatically increases efficiency by enabling the speaker to produce

more output using less energy. Additionally, a horn-loaded tweeter

works well in instances where you want to point the sound to a specific

location because it has more controlled directivity than a conventional

dome tweeter.

The speaker's 8-inch copper-colored IMG woofer also has great

positioning capabilities. It can rotate a full 360 degrees and then

shift 15 degrees in any direction. This flexibility combined with the

swiveling tweeter puts you in complete control of where the sound will

go.

Other professional grade features, such as a premium network and

treble contour switch, give the CDT-3800-C an edge that will exceed

your expectations.

Available in a white finish, the paintable CDT-3800-C can be paired

with the Klipsch IK-800-C installation kit (sold separately). This

revolutionary kit design incorporates a mud ring, breakaway wire tie

and color-coded brackets for easy speaker size identification. It also

includes perforated metal wings that easily fasten to the studs via

screws, staples or nails. Painted white for easy marking and placement,

these metal wings can be folded around the edge of the studs if

necessary.

CDT-3800-C Specifications

frequency response56Hz-20kHz ± 3dB

power handling50 watts (200 watts peak)

sensitivity92dB @ 1 watt/1 meter

nominal impedance8 ohms

crossover frequency3455Hz

drive componentsTwo-way

system using one 1" (2.5cm) Aluminum dome compression tweeter with a

swiveling 100° Tractrix Horn and one 8" (20.3cm) pivoting IMG woofer

fire rated enclosureME-800-C (sold separately)

enclosure materialABS, Infinite baffle, front flush with ceiling

wire gauge accommodated12

width11" (27.9cm)

cutout dimensions9.8" (24.9cm)

mounting depth5.4" (13.7cm)

installation kitIK-800-C (sold separately)

weight7.3 lbs. (3.3kg)

built from2005

Idealy, you have a rectangle room with 4 walls all around. Wide enough up front... but also deeper going front to back.. there are some ratios you can use.. but unless you designed it up front with those... you improvise and go from there... Good sound treatment, and properly placed equipment and a wonderful video source= success.

So we improvise.

Put them even with your seating position or 20* behind you....and be happy!

So you have 3 choices here...I guess... LOL

To answer your question about mounts try this one, http://www.omnimount.com/OmniTest/newpro/product.aspx?ProductId=d0ed2f20-fa15-461c-817a-766db3c9d997&CurrentId=1.1.1.1. I have the one rated for 30 lbs. for my RS-62. I know they can be a little expensive but they are very well made and I haven't had any problem since installing them.

James,

BTW great setup you have, when is everything going to be ready for the first movie?