RF-7 for 2ch listenning

prego

Carl, thanks for sharing. I do not watch movies at all ;-)

I'm getting to share your reasoning. It's really a mess up now to dump the RF-7 after all this journey and money spent on components. (yes, I've moved into the tubes)

leok, thanks for the motivation, it appears that the consistent defenders of the topic(and back to 2002) are you and DeanG. But my decision is that unless RF-7 peaks (see my sibilance thread also) get tamed/smooth soon without money spending, I'm moving on.

To strengthen what cjgeraci wrote, I agree that it's problematic to argue what's the right sound, but those peaks in the horn are not a matter of cjgeraci's taste IMO, it's a requirement. Even if there exist perfect room acoustics, amplification and source, RF-7 isnt allowed (in my philosophy) to be that picky in this mid-fi level. 90% of its potential(or its successor's) buyers dont(or plan to) have that equipment. Concluding that it wasn't designed for that(2ch listenning), perhaps the whole Reference line. Maybe smart people found a way around it, but those haven't materialized for me yet.

Dean:

I think you once had RF-7s, and have lots of experience with that speaker. Maybe you're right about the clipping issue. I don't think I've ever heard an SS amp clip, but it's been such a long time since we used one on a regular basis or listened that loud. I'm almost certain I heard the SETs clip when listening to SACD on a couple of occasions, though.

Erik

The RF-7 isn't an easy load for an amp, and even though 35 watts is quite a bit with a fairly sensitive speaker, I suppose if you were really driving them the Dynaco might run out of gas. Still, I ran mine with relatively low power for a long time, and never had the problem he's describing.