Best way to set up front and center speakers....large or small

MojoRisen

Here is what I suggest;

First try setting them the RF82s to small. Also set the RC52 to small. Listen to something dynamic, both music and movies. For music, try Pink Floyd dark side of the moon, Breathe, or Dire Straits "Money for Nothing. Both start nice and quiet and then gradually get LOUD. For movie, try Saving Private Ryan or Blackhwak Down. Of course try anything else you like.

Then change the setting of the RF82s to large. Set the crossover to 60, then 40, and see if you like it. Listen to the same source as before. Notice anything different? I strongly suggest either keeping your center channel set to smalll, or if set to large adjust crossover to 60 at the lowest, if not 80.

One thing about setting your mains with a higher crossover (60) is it allows more clean power from your receiver or amp to be used more appropriatley. If you allow the mains to go full range, a lot of the amplifiers power is used for the lower frequencies. You have a sub, let the sub do its job.

Tinker with the settings. Like the "Hokey Pokey", thats what its all about!

Honestly, I can't tell a lot of difference. I've switched it all over the place. But the system is so new I may need to leave it longer in one set up to notice anything...or sit farther back from the speakers.

Good thought though concerning the power and where it goes. My AV amp is older (2002). The crossover is set to 90 when you choose small for speakers. Don't have the ability to set the crossover to a specific number (Yamaha 5560). The amp is only 75w per channel so I get get more power to the mains by setting them to small.