Plasma TV vs LCD Projector

Kain

Which one has better image quality, colors, sharpness, etc? Basically, which is better overall image quality? Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TH-42PW4 (42" 16:9 Plasma)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I wouldn't know about the image quality of the newer plasma TVs...

I know the one we had in demo at the store was pretty pathetic, it wasn't even as good as the better projection screens we have, and not even close to a good CRT.

I don't have experience with a projector, however, given the budget, I wouldn't even ask myself the question, and I would go with the equivalently priced projector simply for the image size factor.

You're never going to get the same impression of grandeur as in the movies with a plasma or any other type of TV, however, fill up a wall of nice image, and there is no way you're making me go back to the theater!

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

I have to agree with Seb, there is NOTHING like turning down the lights, and having a 100 plus inch image to look at. the geewiz factor is very high and cool.

At the local brick and mortor they have a flat panel, and I has not that impressed with it. For comparison, a 60"x45" screen has 2700 sq inches and a 100"x75" screen has 7500 sq inches that a 277% larger screen. That makes a huge difference.

I'd go and demo as many as you can, flat panel, crt, lcd and dlp. Happy shopping.

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

• Like 1

Plasmas are cool, but they aren't the greatest quality. No problem with DVD's, but with HD, quick movement, they just can't keep up. A Projector is definitely the way to go. Check out DLP, if you haven't already, they are reasonably priced (compared with Plasma or CRT projectors) and give you excellent picture quality, better than most LCD's. Save the Plasma for a smaller room, and wait until they come down to a reasonable price.

quote:

Originally posted by toddvj:

Plasmas are cool, but they aren't the greatest quality. No problem with DVD's, but with HD, quick movement, they just can't keep up. A Projector is definitely the way to go. Check out DLP, if you haven't already, they are reasonably priced (compared with Plasma or CRT projectors) and give you excellent picture quality, better than most LCD's. Save the Plasma for a smaller room, and wait until they come down to a reasonable price.

Well, my room is small. I only sit about 8 feet away from the screen.

------------------

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TH-42PW4 (42" 16:9 Plasma)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier