THX Ultra2 System ... swap the kl-525 for more kl-650?

mrogge

I am considering the Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers. Rather than buying the complete "system" I am considering buying the speakers seperately. The "system" comes with 3x KL-650 and 2x KL-525 + the sides and subs. I am considering swapping the 525 for more 650. My subwoofer will be a 200 or 400 watt sunfire or equivalent.

WOULD THIS BE SICK? Why or why not consider this, if space isnt a question.

There's no reason not to go with all 650's if you have the space and can afford it. The surrounds are usually highpassed at 80Hz (or at least should be) so the extra low frequency extension isn't really going to be realized, but at least you'll have better timbre matching. Depending on the layout of the room, you might be better suited with the KS-525...

Do you already own the sunfire? I have a hard time believing any sunfire sub is going to be able to keep up with the Ultra2 system...

If you are considering swapping the KL525 w/KL650's IMO that would be a great idea.  I'd keep the KS 525's for side surrounds though.  In an HT environment they do add presence directional speakers don't.  Having said that I do not like them for reproduction of multichanell music.  In that setting I prefer the directional speakers.  However Klipsch did design system as a package featuring the KL 650's across the front and the KL/KS 525's for use in the rear and sides for surround applications, I tend to trust their judgement.  IMO your best sub option is the KW 120's mated to the KA 1000.   

I am seriously considering converting my HT over to the THX ULTRA II system and keep my La Scala's for a dedicated 2 CH system

IMO your best sub option is the KW 120's mated to the KA 1000.

j 4 knee

I agree the sub speaker/ amp combo from Klipsch ROCKS!!

Good luck!

I like the use of 650's front and backs.. for sides... the 525's are pretty hard to beat, cause you do want sprayed sound.. (for movies, most HT need this..)

As for multi channel music reproduction, it depends on the recording.. PLEASE, SOMEONE,..... tell the "idiot" that recorded it, that a sax player behind you and the second guitar player who is stage left... in your right surround... that he is a donkey hole, for even thinking this is what we want to hear!!!!!!

I am very disappointed in the idea they think we want to be in the middle of it all but place instruments and singers in weird positions.. Listening wise..

Woud the addition of another pair of klipsch subs + klipsch sub

amplifier be SICK? The system already has 2 subs. Has anyone tried 4??

I have considered it... it might be tricky placement wise... I have heard of people not being happy... Some blown away... Then again 4 up front... or 2 up front... 2 beside you... (saw this is in the THX planning suggestions) might really be the ticket!

Without Mas killing me here.... Some of this is hit or miss and what do you prefer? OK, he can slap me now!

My sunfire amp is 200 x 7, and can get plenty loud I am sure for just about anyone!

Just keep in mind that when using multiple KA-1000 amps, that they are going to be more difficult for the preamp to drive. Roger can speak first hand on this, but the KA-1000 is essentially a "pro-amp" and as such doesn't interface as well as it should with a lot of gear - especially Sunfire. I dunno which all models from everyone will work well, but it's one of those things that are hit and miss. In other words, you'll notice if it's a problem - and if it is, then there are some pretty simple solutions. Just something to think about...

I think it is more of a sunfire low wattage line out of the pre amp to the sunfire ( usually used subs)

Mike is right..... but that is, and what can, happen too.. (corrected with the velodyne sms-1 unit. It re eq'd the room and also gave me back what I was lacking...and then some!!)

If you use an ultra 2 pre amp, I doubt you would have any problems.. Ultra 2 is a little hotter send..