Tandberg Reel to Reels

tom b. 57

Anybody know anything about these? In particular 9200 XD. I know it was manufactured in 74'. What I am wondering is, good, fair, or poor, example of a reel to reel? Hopefully someone out there knows a bit about these and would be willing to share some thoughts on this subject. The asking price is $50,00. I believe it uses 71/4 in. reels.

Tom

I purchased the 9200XD for $50.00 and am very pleased with the functionality and the sound reproduction. The unit came with 30 or so prerecorded tapes and a degausser, a tape splicer, and two mics.

The tapes are probably worth more than what I paid for the whole deal.

Now, I just need to learn how to use it properly and take full advantage of it's capabilities.

One question though. The machine makes a bit of a hum. Not real loud but just enough to notice when it is sitting idle. There is no unwanted noise through the speakers. The playback is excellent.

Tom

That sounds like a great deal Tom. Is this your first deck? Have you tried recording with it yet?

This is my first deck. I have not tried recording yet. I am checking out all the prerecorded tapes that came with it. I know that there will be several tapes that I will want to record over and this will give me an opportunity to try my hand at recording. I have in the past recorded on cassette tapes (in the late 70's and early 80's) it's been awhile. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Just a few basics Tom. Clean your tape heads and all metal parts of the tape path.....I always do that prior to making a recording. Use can use a Qtip and head cleaner(I got a large bottle from Radio Shack). Rubbing alcohol will leave a residue (lanolin....a skin conditioner) and should be avoided. Demagnitize the heads and path once and you shouldn't need to do that again for awhile. Carefull not to scratch the heads. Record at the highest speed possible for the highest s/n ratio (probably 7.5 ips on your deck). Set the imput level so the needles barely go into the red zone of the vu meters on the loudest passages (just like you did on your cassette deck). You probably know all this but I am assuming you may not. You should be up and running at this point but if not there are many rtr folks here that know way more than I do.

Let us know how the deck sounds and send a picture if possible. Tandberg for $50!! Great score.

Chuck