HIE Heresy Industrial Crossovers or Networks- djk?

triceratops

Hi Folks,

The story is I bought some Heresy Industrials (ported). They are in great shape and have the ElectroVoice EVM 12L woofer. The owner explained that he modified the HIE crossover to give a more balanced sound.

The modified crossover is pictured below. This HIE crossover started out very similar to a Model AA but has had a number of parts removed and now has the same circuit as a standard Heresy model E crossover. My question is, does this circuit make sense for the speakers in the HIP cabinet? I know this is an area of expertise for djk--I hope he replies to this thread!

post-8531-13819349493118_thumb.jpg

That can't sound very good.

That woofer is 101dB/W/1M above 200hz, below there it starts sloping down. You will never get any bass out of it unless you put it in a horn the size of the Klipschorn.

What use do you intend to put these to, PA or Hi-Fi?

What use do you intend to put these to, PA or Hi-Fi?

Thanks for your reply djk!

Their primary service would be as Hi-Fi, but the idea would be to be able to pull them out for PA once in a while if the need was to arise.

For Hi-Fi, I could use them in combination with LaScalas, Cornwalls, or Khorns or with a sub (I have a Klipsch RSW-15 or an old Velodyne ULD-15 that could be used).

Would it be best to convert the network back to the original circuit or to some other configuration?

Is it risky for the tweeters to run them as a PA without protective diodes in the circuit?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

"Their primary service would be as Hi-Fi, but the idea would be to be able to pull them out for PA once in a while if the need was to arise."

I would probably bump the mid and tweeter up a tap to #3 on the mid, and #4 on the tweeter. This will be a lot closer to the level of the woofer. I would also try a cap across the woofer, say 33µF to start. This will cut some of the excess midrange (and is similar to the Heresy II network).

Throw those old caps away and start fresh. You will need a pair of 2µF for the tweeter, and a 0.245mH (0.25mH is close enough) . These are the original values. I would also try adding a 1µF in parallel with the pair of 2µF, that will give an almost infinite slope for the tweeter. With the steep slope you may not need the zeners, although those are the old style and they will eventually need to have the diaphragms replaced at some point in time. I would probably add a RXE050 PolySwitch with a 211-2 dome lamp in parallel, since you might use them for PA. You could also add the low-pass section on the K55V from the LB-76, this gives more output in the 4Khz~6Khz region, then cuts off.

Network1b.jpg

Wow! Thanks djk, for your detailed instructions! I am really grateful that you not only gave me your suggestions on what to do, but also the reasons why. I also appreciate the excellent schematic. Any thoughts on using motor drive caps or poly caps for this application?

Thanks again--I'm sure other Forum members will be able to crib a few tricks from this, too.

Best regards,

John (triceratops)