A Pleasant Low Frequency Surprise!

Chris Robinson

Our (just) eight year-old Jack has had "Ratatouille" on his mind. We missed it in the theater but put it in our Netflix queue. It arrived today and after dinner, we fired it up!

It's actually a nice story, and beautifully animated. From the trailer I saw months ago, it looked like a yawn-er, but a few minutes into the movie I knew it was special. With Klipschorns and Belle across the front, nothing is lost in soundtrack detail .... at all. There is a section of the opening 10 minutes where lightning strikes the house, and the effect was electric. We all pretty much jumped out of our chairs.

Further into the movie is a mouse-trip down the sewer. Before the crescendo, the LF starts rumbling, building a lot of anticipation (and tension), then culminates in a roller coaster descent that is an audio treat. It really dragged me into the ride experience. I was really surprised. The Klipschorn really gets the mid-bass right; the sub took care of the rest.

The writing for this story was really outstanding; it took what could have been a predictable story line into the nuances of a human-rodent relationship, where it blossomed into a narrative of common struggles with adversity. Happily, the good guys won. However, the soundtrack and the Klipsch Heritage experience combined for a 1 + 1 = 3 type of experience. It was really emotional and in your face.

Well done, Klipsch! Again and again ...

Chris

Hey Chris, we had the same experience last night in our household. My 6 yr old daughter and I watched it an whoa it was awesome it kept the rear surrounds active and the lightning strike had us jumping and I was no where near reference level.

Try Meet the Robinsons as well very good story and movie.

While theaters are loud they lack the impact and immediacy of Klipsch in the home.

Hey Chris, we had the same experience last night in our household. My 6 yr old daughter and I watched it an whoa it was awesome it kept the rear surrounds active and the lightning strike had us jumping and I was no where near reference level.

Try Meet the Robinsons as well very good story and movie.

While theaters are loud they lack the impact and immediacy of Klipsch in the home.

We did rent Meet the Robinsons a few weeks ago (how could we NOT rent a movie with THAT title [:P]?) ... It was a really fun movie as well. Something about the movie last night, though, that was really seamless in its production that I don't see (or hear) too often.

I can't recommend the movie enough for those of you with young kids (and even teenagers). It's just a great package for clean, wholesome family fun!

" I would highly recommend The Polar Express. Besides having a "train-loving" 8yr old at home, when that steam engine comes rolling in, your whole house will be a shake'n."

Indeed! That scene is sonically incredible. The train noise starts off almost inaudibly and then builds and builds and builds and BUILDS until your house is shaking and you sense that big locomotive boiler heaving and panting with awesome chuffs, clanks, breaths and roars right there a few feet away from you.