Dual vs single subs opinions wanted

Darkelf

First of all, should you get a second, you should get one that's identical to your first. Integrating two subs with disparate capabilities can be problematic. Now, knowing that, do you think you could benefit from having another RT-10d? You won't be able to go any lower, but you will have more of what you already have (output). Is that what you want (need)? Colocated, two subs can potentially give you +6dB in output. If not colocated, the gain can be as little as +3dB. Two subs, when properly placed and integrated can help smooth out frequency response anomolies caused by the room, but two subs can also create more problems.

Is your current RT-10d already operating at its maximum capability? What is it about it that you are unhappy with? What would you like to change about the quality and/or quantity of the output your sub currently produces?

Lastly, could you sell your current sub or use it elsewhere should you decide to replace it?

Yes, I would be looking at another RT-10d. I guess I was looking for a completely balanced sound, although I can barely percieve the sub coming from one side of the room(I think the rear firing radiators help smooth it out). As far as output goes I could just turn up the volume. I guess I was just looking for opinions from those who have or have tried dual subs whether it was worth the added cost.

The answer to the question, "Can I put an RSW 15 in front of my tv set where my KSW 15 sits?" is "no." That wasn't the answer I got and the RSW 15 pulled the color off my RP TV. The only other place I could put that behemoth was behind my listening position, but that did make my low end more directional than I liked. [^o)] I figured a RSW 12 could fit along my side wall up front but I didn't want to part with the RSW 15. The long story short is the benefits of having 2 subs in my system is nothing short of sublime.

During lunch I found that evidently a squirrel had gotten inside our walls through our chimney and now I am using my Seal DVD-A and RSWs to chase him out. Either he is out or he went and got some nuts and is rockin' along with me--I don't hear him. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest macbeth

99% of all audio setups don't have enough sub capability. Most can get plenty loud, but accuracy and dynamics are severely compromised.

This is, of course, unless you live in an apartment where you can't get away with enough LF output.

For example, in my previous theater (15'x23'x8'), I had a DD-15 up front and center and it still wasn't enough. I added a corner loaded 4x15" IB setup to get it just right. I listen below reference level, too. Movies and music were MUCH better at the same listening level.

I'm not a big fan of co-locating subs, as I prefer the added smoothness that two or more locations provide.

All that being said, it's still a very hard sell getting four subs into a room (cash and WAF).

Matt

I agree that most setups do not have enough sub capability. To move air effectively at low frequencies you need a lot of cone area and a lot of power. Very few commercial subwoofers fit the bill for the average rooms now days, in keeping up with the main L/R channels.

Even some of the DIY creations fall short of the requirement for low distortion bass with ample headroom.