A/V receiver

mdbrien

I'm looking to setup an HT system and was looking to buy an A/V receiver. I don't want to spend to much so I've been searching audiogon. I came across a Sony STR-Da7100es for $500 shipped to my address. Can anyone comment on this receiver? For this price, can I do better than this Sony?

Thanks

I don't think your going to get more total watts for the money.

Before buying, I would make sure I listened to Sony gear and compared to other brands.  You may like the Sony sound...you might not.

As far as the other spec's like the decode bit rate....if your going to buy all used gear...24/96 will work...but if you buy newer gear...24/96 won't recongize a 24/196khz signal...you will need to make sure future componets you buy can be switched into 24/96 mode.   Newer recievers auto sense the bit rate an can auto select 24/196, 24/96, etc.

When I was comparing them - it had 10 more WPC (85) and the 2nd sub out. Otherwise - from what I could tell - they were identical units. Both do upscaling, both are 7.1 (or 7.2 in the 745's case), both have 2x HDMI inputs. Wasn't worth the added coin for me, and it happily pushes my RF-35's all day long without issue.

Thanks Falcon20x for your comments and Thank you Srobak for your input. I just pulled the trigger on the AVR 645. I should get it by the end of the week. It will be used in an all Heresy HT. The only thing I need now is a Sub. Any suggestion in the $500-$600 range would be appreicated. Room size is 18' x 20'

Thanks,

Any 12 inch should  do.

SVS or HSU are good subs but if you want to stay in the Klipsch line, an rw 12  or used rsw 12 should do 
 While I'm at it, make  sure  you keep the receiver cool. Those HK 645 do not like heat, or least mine does not.
If you  ever have any problems with your  let me know, I might be able to help.