K-55 1/2 the sound?

kg4guy

Is this correct. You have four K-55s. Two read 7 and one of those have low output. Two read 11 and they are okay.

If it was only one reading 7 and that one had low output, I'd say the voice coil is messed up. But even that is a bit odd. They usually fail to an open condition. That is to say, infinite ohms.

As Bob suggests, could you tell us about measurement conditions.

Also, what is the history of these units?

Gil

One of my K-55's  is about half as loud as the other they both are reading around 7 on the ohm meter  my other K-55's are reading around 11-12  in my other pair of Heresy 1's do I need new diaphrams in the  drivers reading 7 ?

does the one that reads 7 have a klipsch logo on it....silver metal disc with klipsch emblem.   I realize sometimes ink stamps were used, but 7 ohms sound to me like you might actually have a pair of 8 ohm siren drivers  which were also made by atlas that look identical to the k-55/pd5hv.  So they may not be defective...just not what you would want in Hertitage products due to the phase shift the lower impedance can cause.  You can move the driver to the next lower tap setting on the autoformer which would compensate for the lower impedance or you can get 16 ohm coils put in.

I disconnected them and they read 7.1 and 7 ,the only reason I mentioned the other drivers is to establish my ohm meter was reading correct, so the drivers reading 7 came out of a pair of cornwalls as I said earlier the one is much louder and sounds fine and the other sounds fine but half the volume of sound is coming out?

"I wonder if they are SD70 drivers/diaphragms, they are rated at 11 ohms
nominal, and measure about 7 ohms (they don't sound so hot either). "

Thats what I was thinking...they show up on ebay all the time with ink stamped k-55 markings on them