RF 7'S

aussiemark

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON WHICH WOULD WORK BEST WITH THE RF 7'S ? A ROTEL RB 1080 (2 X 200 W ) OR 2 RB 1070'S ( 2 X 130 W ) BRIDGED TOGETHER . I WAS JUST ABOUT TO BUY THE 1080 WHEN ADVISED ( by a rotel dealer ) THAT THE 2ND OPTION WOULD SOUND MUCH BETTER . I DONT TRUST HIM , I TRUST THE FORUM FOR INFO. THANKS

Regardless of how much power you think you need or want, the distortion level of the amp at low power (1 Watt and lower) has a lot to do with how natural and un-grainy an efficient speaker like the RF-7 will sound. It could be the dealer is suggesting the amp with lower low power distortion. Can you compare vocals on both? One may exaggerate sibalances ("s" sound) more than the other, possibly to the point of being a problem.

Leo

The bottom line for me is which option will get the best out of the 7's .In Sydney the RB 1080 goes for $1550 whilst the RB 1070 go for $900 . He will do 2 1070's for $1500 as he insists it will provide superior results . I will do an A / B comparison but the distortion issue with bridging 2 anmps concerns me more than the increase in power by doing the same.

Gee, if the 2 smaller amps bridged are supposed to be better, one of them alone might be really great. Over 100W into the RF-7 is pretty serious (I'm using two 3.5W mono amps into my RF-7s right now, but as I always say, I don't listen real loud). I'd compare the two amps (RB 1080 vs RB 1070) without bridging the smaller one. I suspect you're a bit tied up with the Watts and should be listening to the sound.

Leo

Bridging any amplifier increases the distortion of the amp by 6dB...and for what? 6dB louder when you crank it up all the way? I think bridging doubles the output impedance too (which means half the damping).

I've not heard either amp, but I have very little doubt that the unbridged amp will sound better.

The 1080 is listed as having .01% lower THD than the 1070 at 1 watt per channel output. .02 vs .03

I would still go with the single stereo amp, but your own ears will really have to decide. The 1070 @ $900 might be all you need.

Bruce