Surround ex Setup Question..

klipguy

Option A: can be 6.1 or 7.1--6.1 with both rear speakers as mono in a matrix EX/ES encoded disk.--7.1 in a discrete encoded disk.

Option C: is 6.1 either mono matrixed or discrete.

Option B: not really the best set up unless somehow running 5.1 with four side surround speakers.

There is verry little out there (none that I know of) with 6.1 discrete(i.e. DTS ES discrete) encoding.

There is NONE I know of with 7.1 discrete decoding.

This message has been edited by aab3rd on 01-02-2002 at 05:25 PM

Yeah, what they said. aab3rd, There is The Haunting, Gladiator, Seven, Rush Hour 2, Jurrasic Park 3, Chicken Run, and Cast Away, to name a few (or maybe all of 'em) that have discreet 6.1. Some of these titles advertise it, some don't. My receiver lights up when there is a discreet rear channel. I don't know if there is such thing as discreet 7.1, but with the magic of THX, you can be led to beleive that is what you're hearing. I think you would have a hard time convincing me that you can hear a difference between Discreet and Matrixed, though. I use my 7.1 even when I'm watching a 5.1 movie. It works great. Myram, nice system. You keep your front speakers nice and close to the TV, huh? I see you went for the bad-boy Denon 7.1 amp. Nice. You have good taste in DVD players. I just picked up my RP-91 yesterday, and it is awesome!! Picture of course is great, but what floored me is the sound quality!! Wasn't expecting such an improvement. I wish I would've known what a difference a DVD player could make, I would've stepped up long ago. No more cheap sony's for me. I'm considering ditching my 400 disc CD player in favor of the DVD player now. Do you get High-Def from your Cable? If not, you should get a satellite, to really do your system justice.

hey gang! been rediculously busy, got some goodies for all the work done (check my signature) AND finally got my theater room renovations complete (pix coming soon). going in to work in a few minutes, and after work trimming out a pre-wire with wall plates and a phone punch block (i ran phone,data,satellite,cable, and cctv). klipschhog coming in from baton rouge to help. picked up an old ES pro-logic receiver to use as either a second source out amp, or to decode/power a center rear or surround rears. what about using a pair of surround speakers as 'surround-back' speakers w/the pro-logic mode set to 'phantom' center? i beleive that will provide lr,rr,and center rear info to the rear pair. or use the center out for 6.1. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner