New rear surrounds need advice / have questions.

QUiKSR20

Hello All,

Currently im running a rather small set of Klipsch Quintet rear speakers on stands. They stand about 46" tall and clear the top of the couch.

Posted Image

I have a friend who moved and needs smaller speakers. He is willing to trade me his Klipsch SF1 towers ( stand 33' tall have 6.5 drivers ) Even trade.

I have a matching pair of Klipsch synergy as my mains with 8" woofers only there bookshelves on stands vs floor standers.

Now will these make a huge difference than my current rears? Will they have to be lifted since there much shorter to hear the sound? Is it even worth the trade with my setup?

http://www.klipsch.com/images/890/400x400.aspx

Heres the rest of the system they would be joining.

Posted Image

Any input would be greatly apreciated as he awaits an answer from me.

Thanks,

Daryl

Thank you thank you! So even being 6.5s vs 8" you think the SF-1's will sound better as my mains? If so AWESOME! Only other question I would have to think about is if I move my front SB3s w/stands to the rear would they have to be raised higher than they are now? Would they be too low as in they will be partially firing into the back of the couch. And thanks for the kind words. I just moved into my new place and finally have a room big enough to actually setup my HT!

Cool yeah I can leave some room, I have a good 1.5ft behind the couch to push them out.

Would you agree to use the SF-1 towers w/6.5 drivers in the front and move the SB-3 bookshelves w/8' drivers to the rear?

Aside from woofer size will the tower vs bookshelf speaker sound better?

Thanks Guys!

Cool yeah I can leave some room, I have a good 1.5ft behind the couch to push them out.

Would you agree to use the SF-1 towers w/6.5 drivers in the front and move the SB-3 bookshelves w/8' drivers to the rear?

Aside from woofer size will the tower vs bookshelf speaker sound better?

Thanks Guys!

I just sold my set of SF-1s I had pair of the SB-3s for about two days and then went back to where I bought them and upgraded to the towers. The bass extension is much better. They maybe don't have quite the "punch" in the mid range of the bookshelves, but I'm trying to remember back nearly five years. Either way you will be pleased with them up front given some good amplification. And worse case scenario you can put them back behind the couch and experiement with which you like more. But regardless you will be pleased over the speakers you have now.

Awesome, I appreciate the info. I Have about 70w going to them from my HK Receiver

I say it should be plenty. I occasionally used them for movies with a 50w Denon stereo receiver coming out of the TV speaker out (not quite line level) and it was plenty. Enjoy them and let us know if you have anything else.

Cool yeah I can leave some room, I have a good 1.5ft behind the couch to push them out. Would you agree to use the SF-1 towers w/6.5 drivers in the front and move the SB-3 bookshelves w/8' drivers to the rear? Aside from woofer size will the tower vs bookshelf speaker sound better? Thanks Guys!

I just sold my set of SF-1s I had pair of the SB-3s for about two days and then went back to where I bought them and upgraded to the towers. The bass extension is much better. They maybe don't have quite the "punch" in the mid range of the bookshelves, but I'm trying to remember back nearly five years. Either way you will be pleased with them up front given some good amplification. And worse case scenario you can put them back behind the couch and experiement with which you like more. But regardless you will be pleased over the speakers you have now.

Yes, but for how long????????????[6]

Where in Chicago are you? I am out in La Grange Park.