decent deal on a laptop?

Daddy Dee

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/vostronb?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

I've been browsing for a few months looking for a new laptop, nothing fancy, just something to replace the worn out units I got as hand-me-downs from my daughters. They had gotten the last two new laptops I'd purchased for myself. Now I'm looking forward to burning a CD.

Anyway, for anyone who might be shopping, thought I'd pass this along. Dell is discounting it's new business class Vostro notebooks (new) to prices below what it's selling the same units out of the dell outlet.

What I got for $599:

Vostro 1400 14.1" display

2 GB Ram

120 GB hard drive

128mb video card

DVD/CD burner.

The base unit had Vista Home Basic and I upgraded to Home Premium for $29. (XP Pro was a $99 upgrade, bummer)

Also added bluetooth capacity for $20.

Shipped free, but with tax came to $696.61

I'd be happy enough, and would actually prefer to do business with the local Office Depot or box store. However, I am just not going to deal with the hassle of rebates to get a decent price.

I bought a cheapo laptop from the HP website a couple of weeks ago . . . . from refurbished business products section. $450 to start. I went there because I wanted XP. Then I spent another $50 for a three-year warranty and they sold me a battery-case-mouse bundle for $50.

They have desktops and some tablets too.

Gil

About 2 or 3 years ago I dropped ~$1,800.00 on a "top-of-the-line" IBM Thinkpad T42 assuming that IBM was made in the USA & I was buying an American made product.

When it was delivered I was shocked to discover that my brand new IBM was made in CHINA!

Of course, shortly thereafter IBM announced that it was selling its entire PC operation to Lenovo - which, apparently had been building all its PC's for a number of years. Then my hard drive failed - & I soon learned that IBM did not have a SINGLE hard drive available in the entire USA. My replacement hard drive (Hitachi - made in Thailand) had to be shipped from Hong Kong!

I sure hope we never have to go to war with China because our production base is long gone.

You want fries with that?

James

I bought this Dell laptop in December of '04 for school use. I did not buy any extended warranty and refused to buy one when they emailed trying to sell me one.

Well it crashed about a month ago and would not do anything but come on with the Black Screen of Death. So I got on line with Dell trying to trouble shoot the problem. They help me out and then tell me the Warranty is still good until Feb of '08; they send me a box to ship it out for repair. It comes back in 3 days with new guts in it; they told me to keep the hard drive here so I did not loose any of my stuff. I will be buying another Dell desk top for Christmas. Later Bill