Good soldering iron?

White_Hawk

Thanks for that - I actually ended up getting the hakko 936-12 after looking at that site and many reviews/comparisons online. Did my first soldering jobs tonight (after a good deal of reading, some advice from a couple of air force friends, and a few movie tutorials online) and it worked out great for me! 2 instrument cables down, 4 patch cables and a couple of XLRs to go. I went with mogami the whole way through and a friend gave me some cardas quad solder for free so I didn't see any reason not to use it =)

SETI,

I picked up an extra 900M-T-1.6D/P tip which is the 1.6 mm /.06" chisel point tip and appears to be what comes on the pencil probe. I have used this tip 100% of the time so far for building 4 Bottlehead kits and various cables. I also picked up a 900M-T-I/P tip which is the 0.2 mm /.008" radius point tip for just if I needed sometihing really small or if soldering in a tight place (I haven't needed this one yet.)

The 900M-T-1.6D/P chisel point was $4.99 in 2002.

The 900M-T-I/P radius point tip was $5.69 inn 2002.

The tip containers state that these tips fit the Hakko 936, 900M and 907 Hakko Models. My pencil iron is the 907 pencil.

Hope this helps in some way.

Wrinkles

SETI,

I picked up an extra 900M-T-1.6D/P tip which is the 1.6 mm /.06" chisel point tip and appears to be what comes on the pencil probe. I have used this tip 100% of the time so far for building 4 Bottlehead kits and various cables. I also picked up a 900M-T-I/P tip which is the 0.2 mm /.008" radius point tip for just if I needed sometihing really small or if soldering in a tight place (I haven't needed this one yet.)

The 900M-T-1.6D/P chisel point was $4.99 in 2002.

The 900M-T-I/P radius point tip was $5.69 inn 2002.

The tip containers state that these tips fit the Hakko 936, 900M and 907 Hakko Models. My pencil iron is the 907 pencil.

Hope this helps in some way.

Wrinkles

My Hakko 936-12 should arrive this week. I will be buying a couple extra tips after I get used to soldering. I have an old aa crossover that I'll abuse learning to solder. Now I need some glasses, braids, and solder.

On my list of things to build myself are subwoofer crossovers. These are going to be used with my khorns first and later in a ht. I am thinking of crossing over gently around 50-40hz.