Bi amp klipschorn

phutho

My apologies if you already know this, but do you have the Khorns tucked up snuggly into the corners and well sealed with the walls? Sometimes people will use pipe insulation on the tailboard to ensure a good airtight connection. Sometimes people don't realize the Khorns were designed to be in the corners and have them pulled out into the middle of the room (which will absolutely destroy the bass response).

Also, is there lack of bass just at the listening position, or everywhere in the room? Try standing in the rear corners of the room and see if there isn't a significant amount of bass there. (The room tends to dictate the low frequency performance of the Khorn).

Also, is there lack of bass just at the listening position, or everywhere in the room? Try standing in the rear corners of the room and see if there isn't a significant amount of bass there. (The room tends to dictate the low frequency performance of the Khorn).

Actually this is true of any speaker system not just the KHorn!!

mike tn[:D]

sorry for late response (I just got back from work). I just got the speakers from ebay recently. I this they have AA X-over. A friend of mine keep the speakers for me now since I have to re-organize my house. he use a yamaha receiver (about 6 years old). The high is ok. The midle is excellence. But the bass is not as punchy as my small kg4.2 (the Kg4.2 is place in small room). We have one of the k-horns in one corner. The other is 1 foot away from the wall and next to a door. I will post some pictures when I come to my friend's house next weekend.

Thanks

The other is 1 foot away from the wall and next to a door.

I almost wonder if you shouldn't explore false corners before bi-amping.

Nevertheless, isn't the woofer crossover section usually in the woofer access panel? I would imagine bi-amping would just be a matter of sending a signal from one amp to the lead that goes up to the binding posts on the Xover and then running the rest off the normal input.

"Nevertheless, isn't the woofer crossover section usually in the woofer access panel? I would imagine bi-amping would just be a matter of sending a signal from one amp to the lead that goes up to the binding posts on the Xover and then running the rest off the normal input."

On the AA networks, everything is on the top xover board.

A wire runs down from the woofer terminals on the AA xover board to the bottom section.

Hi phutho

Are you wanting to bi-amp with an active crossover?

If as some have tried and you want to bi-amp while using the pasive networks then I really don't see how bi-amping will help you for this problem. If you bi-amp this way then all you will be doing is giving yourself the ability to increase or decrease the Low frequency horn in relation to the Mid-Hi Horns which will probably degrade the proper balance between the LF and MF/HF sections creating other sound issues.

Sounds like these are a very recent purchase and if so and you haven't checked them out yet I would suggest you start with the basics and make sure the polarity of all drivers are correct especially for any lack of bass issues.

mike tn[:D]

Even if done properly, biamping the Klipschorn is not a good way to get more or punchier bass. Increasing the level of the bass bin will increase all frequencies below 400Hz (or wherever you set the low band of an active crossover, but going lower with the stock mid-range driver will be problematic and that's a whole other story).

The frequencies between 300-400Hz are some of the ugliest frequencies around if they are accentuated. This is not the way to go to remedy what you are describing.

Part of the problem may be placement, which has already been pointed out. But even when they are set up adequately, the lack of distortion with good horn loaded bass is very different from smaller direct radiators. The inherent distortion found with relatively small direct radiating woofers is subjectively punchier.

Get the things set up correctly and get used the sound. It won't take long and what effort you expend will be well worth it.