LaScala question

jpm

I have had both k-43's and K-33's in LaScala's and currently, while I have extra sets of k-33's, all my LaScala's have K-43's in them.

Due to the cabinet volume of the LaScala dog house the common belief that a K-33 will sound better is not correct. The K-43 will be perceived as having more "slam" than a k-33.

I would not put a K-43 in a khorn or a cornwall since the extra internal volume in those cabs better optimize the use of the k-33 which results in a lower reaching frequency response.

The main difference is that the k 43 is a Industrial version of the 33. Colterphoto1 can elaborate.. A La Scala Industrial k 43 will do 200 wpc as opposed to a k33 loaded regular la scala at 100 wpc.

I have heard both... At lower volumes maybe the k 33 gets the nod... Maybe this is because the K 43 needs some mid level juice.... hehehehehehe

For HT dynamics or where your gonna have some fun once in a while, you can't go wrong with the stock k 43.. It will handle more WPC without any strain..

I have 7 La Scalas in my HT, all with k 43's in them. Sound pretty good to me. The caveat is the k 43 might not go quite as low as a k 33. (I have seen some graphs to this effect, but not so sure you can really "hear" it. If your using a sub matched properly to your scala's ... and you will need one for HT, no problem at all.)

my 2 cents♠

For home stereo... the k 43 is more expensive, and I might be tempted to say stay stock k 33 in stereo setups. (tube amps, 2 channel only situations.)

Especially, if you plan on selling these at some point.

Then again, if these are to stay... and your gonna crank em up once in a while.. or want them for that HT slam.... heheheheh The 43's are tempting!

If it's a subtle sound difference at best, I'm not going to change the woofers. I run a sub, and Rega separate amp and pre, so I have no problem getting all the slam I want right now. I thought the K43 might make some HUGE difference... apparently not. Thanks all, and you too, Mike Coulter.