Help me satisfy my wife! RS-42s vs In-Ceiling surrounds

slammy77

I got some new RS-42s for Christmas. As you know, they are meant to be mounted on the wall. My issue with that is that I'm afraid they'll look awkward on my living room walls. My wife is also concerned about that, and THAT's why I'm concerned. :)

So... Let me give you a quick rundown of my living room. It's an 18' long x 17' wide room with a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling is 15' feet high at the highest point sloping down to 8' on the R and L sides of the room. The couch is against the back wall. The way the ceiling is vaulted makes me think that in-ceiling speakers could easily be pointed directly at the couch. And certainly they would look better than the RS-42s on the wall.

I have the RC-52 center, RB-51 fronts, and RS-42 surrounds. The fronts and the center will sit on top of my entertainment center which is about 12' wide and just under 6' tall.

With my living room layout, would in-ceiling speakers perfom as well as the RS-42s? If so, please reccommend some for me. I appreciate everybody's input. Remember, you're helping a guy to keep his wife happy here! [:D]

Ceiling speakers are never as good as freestanding period. They also are positioned incorrectly for a true 5.1 or 7.1 setup. The rear speakers optimally should go on the side walls just above your ear level and not directly overhead from the ceiling. With that said, my wife got me to install in ceiling speakers in our formal living room....its passable but not like my dedicated home theater with all speakers either freestanding or mounted on the walls. The difference is quite large imho. It's all about compromise I suppose.

Cheers...

I am also in the same dilemma, except my ceiling speakers will be pointed down at 45 degrees. My local Klipsch dealer recommends this rather than the RS-42's wall mounted at 8 feet.

What is the advantage of the ceiling speakers mounted at 45 degrees rather than the RS-42's where they should be? I am ordering a RF-52 HT system next week, and dont want holes in my vaulted ceiling if they arent going to sound as good as the 42's