First Watt with Klipsch?

HPower

Hey guys,

Has anybody tried or listened to any of the First Watt amps with a Heritage speaker?

I know that the F1 and F2 are designed to work with single driver speakers with

no xovers but I am wondering how the F3, F4, or Aleph J might work with my Khorns.

I just read a review on the F3 and it compared very favourably to the reviewer's SET amp

but with a better bottom end and obviously no tube maintenance.

I have the Aleph 30, JM Blueberry Extreme, '90 Lascala's. The Aleph 30 really put a clean edge on the imaging and presented a more detailed sound stage, it was a dramatic change for the better from the Carver or the HK Citation 12 amps. What are you using for you pre amp? The impedance, at least for the BBX was important. I had read about the F 1-4's, the 3 and the J as well and the 30 was the best match for me. I thought my system sounded pretty good for my untrained ear, but putting the 30 in brought it to another level. I will say it puts out the heat, so make sure it's well ventilated. I have been more than pleased with the Aleph 30. It's alway tough reading what others have to say and not being able to hear it in your system until you make the investment. Good luck in your search.

Tom

Here are some reviews that I found very helpful:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0701/volksamp.htm

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt3/alephj.html

http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/674/index.html

Hey Tom,

I am basically slowly starting from scratch after recently selling my previous system (84 Corns, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24, Ouicksilver Mid Monos) and buying

the 1975 Khorns.

I just took delivery of a Fisher 500C that I bought on Ebay but it got sent back to the seller after finding a broken tuner wheel.

My plan was to go with a vintage receiver but I am not sure if I want to deal with the thought of sourcing parts and service for such an animal.

With that said, the Fisher did make the Khorns sing, nice and full sound, very easy to listen too.

My next thought was to go with a more modern set up, a tube pre and SS amp.

I have used this combination in the past, Modwright SWL 9.0 with tube rectifier and a Bryston 14B with great results on PMC OB1s.

Initially I was also thinking, JM Peach or maybe another Modwright.

Thanks for the links.

Hey Mark,

"If you have to go SS, these amps are as good as it gets"

Well, that means a ton, coming from a tube guy like yourself!

A year or so ago when I bought the Mod preamp, it was basically a coin toss over

which to buy... your Peach or Dan's 9.0.

Ultimately it came down to the remote control, but I see you are now offering the Peach

with a RC option.

Can suggest which First Watt might be best suited to the Khorn as well as which would work

best with the Peach.

Thanks

HPower, I first started with the JM Merlin and was amazed with what you get for the investment, I moved to the BBX for the phono section. The Merlin is in my upstairs system at the moment. All I can say is the Peach does not mate as well as the Merlin or BBX with the Aleph 30, impedance issues. Mark Deneen is a wonderful source for far more accurate info on that. The thing I like about the SS amp and the tube pre is you can tweek your system to suit your listening tastes. I can only speak for the Aleph 30 of the Pass Lab amps, it is very clean and accurate.

Tom

Mark,

No I didn't have the Peach with the Aleph, and I'm sorry if I mis-spoke on the Peach not mating well with it. I thought we had a conversation about the BBX being a better match, I know it was prior to your Peach upgrades. Again sorry for any mis-information.

Tom