Outboard DAC or crossover upgrade?

wuzzzer

On the neverending search for better sound for my system I have looked into getting an outboard DAC for use with my HD-DVD player. I'm doing this mainly for higher quality CD audio playback. What are some DACs that are worth looking into in the sub-$300 range?

I'm also considering upgrading the crossovers in my Forte IIs which will cost about the same as I'm planning on spending on a DAC if I get one.

I'm thinking that the crossover upgrade will make a more profound impact on the sound quality than the DAC, although I've never listened to anything that utilized an outboard DAC so I'm sure I might be surprised.

How exactly does an active crossover work? What are some brands worth looking at?

You would remove the passive crossover from your speakers and then purchase another amp (or two) so that you can power each driver directly. The active crossover goes before the amps and splits the signal up there instead of inside the speaker.

I recently performed surgery on my Chorus II's so that I could run actives and the improvement was far more than any fancy DAC, and lightyears beyond the fanciest of passive crossovers.