Too HDTV or Not?

MBM135

Am considering going wide-screen. Now that I am able to replicate the audio portion of the home theater experience, it's time to take a look at the video piece. My 32 inch Sony is nice but not big enough to handle the task. So I went looking at projection TVs today.

In looking in the store I didn't see any image that had the picture quality of my 5 year old 32 inch Sony. None--although the HDTV broadcasts on the 43 inch models were close. Seems that there is a trade-off in size vs image quality. The bigger, the more "grain." Anything larger than 43 just didn't look good. I can get into a Sony 43 in HDTV model for about $2200 prior to any negotiating. The comparable unit without HDTV was $1700. What do you think--is HDTV something I will regret not having?

Thanks,

Mike

I have a 5 year old 32" sony also and agree that anything over a 43" seems to loose alot of Picture quality. I've been doing the same thing as you. Just can't seem to decide what to get. My HT roon is only 12' X 12' so I believe that a 43" wide screen is all I need. I think that HDTV ready at the very least is a must myself. I wouldn't bother even looking at anything else myself.

Well good luck and let us know what you end up with and how it looks in your HT room. I believe most of the sets on display at stores have been messed with by customers to much to know how they really are going to look once you have one.

i got a 47 inch mitsubitsi and would not go back. dvd's in 16:9 is kick arse Smile.gif !!! also it morphs non HDTV to fit and you can not REALLY tell that it is distorted.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

43" Hitachi widescreen is a nice set. The 43" Sony is not Widescreen. Why go half way? The mits 46" is nice , too. Also check out tube tv's. Both Sony and Panasonic make very nice 34" widescreen HD sets. I picked up the Panasonic recently, and couldn't be happier. I considered both the Hitachi and Mits, but am glad I didn't. 34" is perfect for small room size.

------------------

My Home Theater