questions about home theater design and layout

capchino

New here. I am building a home theater in the basement.(21'x12') I will be using a sony vpl-vw50 projector and the RF-82 system. On the wall with the screen will be my two rf-82's under the screen will be my center channel angled up. Now I am going for a stealth installation on the speakers. I will have a fixed screen centered on the wall. To the sides and underneath will a black fabric that matches the black wall the screen will be on. Behind the fabric i am going to conceal my speakers( making a fake wall so to speak). Here is the part i am not sure about. My 2 rf-82's on either side is getting pretty close to the side of the wall. I here most people place the sub in the corner, but with this setup i do not have enough room in the corner for the RSW-10d sub. Would it be bad to place it between the center channel and the right rf-82 behind the fabric? Also behind the screen and fabric is empty space 12'x4'. Would I need to box in the sub or any other of the speaker for them to perform as they should? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

chino

Welcome to the forum,

I am sure others will respond but. I think that you would not want to build an enclosure around your speakers. That would make them to sound muffled if not made right. I know others have done just this same ideal that you are thinking about.

The sub placement should be a big problem in the front. How far away from the screen is the seating going to start?

I hope you can show pictures of the progression.

James

Could you provide a sketch of what you're proposing?

I think the biggest concern here is dealing with the ports on the rear of the speakers and making sure there is enough space for them to operate as intended. Also, making a cavity like you're proposing is going to introduce some standing waves, which might muddy up the sound.

Unfortunately I am computer illiterate, so i can not post a sketch. But while looking throught this site today I found almost the same design i am going for. Here is the link. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86400/870241.aspx#870241

The only differences would be that i my center channel will be below the screen instead of behind. The sub would be placed to the right of the center. But behind the speakers would be a room about 4' x 12'.

if you want to have the speakers hidden go for it, but it will be harder to do and the sound might night be as good. i saw the link and that guys room looked good. nice job on his part. i for one have a different way of thinking. the speakers (klipsch) look so good, why hide them. thats my 2 cents on that...

as for the placement for the sub, it is going to be trial and error. there is no perferct place. you are going to have to turn it on and use a analog meter (someone please fill in that part number...i know it's at radio shack) to find the best place. in my set up it changed ALOT just by moving it from the left side of the tv to the right. if you do some google searches you can find people who have done "sub placement" diagrams to give a general idea of where to start.

good luck on hiding the speakers....

I think you'll be fine - just make sure you don't block the ports and put the speakers push forward as close to the screen as possible (this will minimize high frequency comb-filtering from the reflections off the screen).

I agree about experimenting with sub placement too...it's hard to tell where the best spot will be. Do the walls/ceiling in this small room need to be parallel? It wouldn't hurt to angle the side walls and the ceiling...