What goes with La Scala and Hersey II's

newbiewklipsch

I have a pair of LaScala's and a pair of Hersey II's that I purchased in 1988 and am wondering what would be the best components to go with them. For the subwoofer it may be easier to just say go with the highest price or what you can afford but is the 12" better for my speaker setup over the 15" or is the 10" actually the best fit. Room size is not an issue as they can change. I would like to have a center speaker as well and would like everything to compliment each other and not have one that is really overbearing. Also, I am looking to replace my Denon AVR-1802 but maybe I don't.

I would like to read what may go best with my speakers. After all, speaker are the best start....

Thanks,

Scott

What can you afford? What components do you want to upgrade, tv, dvd player, a/v receiver, etc?

A/V receiver budget?

HD/Blueray dvd player budget?

etc.

If someone suggests a $5000 a/v receiver and your budget is $1500 what good will that do.

We need more details about what you want from the system (I have a HT system and a 2 chanel music system both hooked up to the La Scalas-LS cause I feel the 2 channel sounds better for music) and how much you can afford and what equipment you want to replace.

I have a La Scala for center chanell so that is what I suggest. I went from a KLF C7 which did a okay job as a center channel but just could not keep up with the left and right La Scalas. Got the LS center channel and really made a big difference. If a LS is toooo big for center channel then go with a Heresy.

I had a RSW 12 sub and it worked great with the LS.

"what would be the best components to go with them" boy that is a loaded question. I have had my Denon 4800 for about 6 years now and don't see or hear any reason to upgrade cause I'm very happy with it.

Good luck.

Replacing the Denon 1802 with separates from just about any manufacturer will make a HUGE difference.

Lots of folks are very happy with the 38xx on up series Denons, but IMHO the lower end (made in China) Denon receivers just don't cut it.

You've got quality speakers, give 'em some quality power - your ears will thank you.

James

For a sub, I'm using a Paradigm PW-2100 with my La Scala mains and Heresy II center and surrounds. It has a 10" driver and 400W RMS/1500W peak amplifier. The current model is rated at 500W. The low-frequency cut-off is 23Hz.

More info here:
http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/subwoofer_only-specification-6-4-5-11.paradigm

The PW-2100 keeps up easily with the La Scalas (even though they're being driven with a 500Wpc amp), with its level set at the 10 o'clock position (the level control has no numbers, but it would be around 3 on a 1-10 scale), and it goes as deep as any of my music or movies call for. Bass instruments sound natural and explosions have plenty of kick, so that meets my needs just fine.

I chose the 2100 over the 2200 (which has a 12" driver) because the smaller driver was reputed to be "faster", making it better suited to music. In some reviews I found, it was also described as more reliable, at least among folks who turn everything all the way up most of the time.

For a center, when I got the Heresy II, the timbre match with the La Scalas was immediately noticeable. The sound is not as big, of course, but it does sound right. I lucked out and found a pair at a good price, made within 3 years of my Heresy II surrounds. That means I've got a Heresy II for backup, in case any of the other three ever have a problem.

Although the center is not magnetically shielded, I found that with careful positioning I could almost eliminate any colour issues with the JVC 35" CRT TV. I know, it's old tech, but I'm happy with it and I'm waiting until the current technology battles settle down and choose a clear winner.